M55 turbo fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrogers999

Oct 9, 2011
Billerica Ma
Lately my fan is making a whiny noise on a lower heat setting. On 3-4-5 its fine. I pulled it our yesterday vaccuumed it and blew some compressed air. It's kinda annoying. Anyone else had this issue.

Also a course of months ago the fan doesn't kick up to high when you turn the stove off. It stays on the same speed I shut it off on. Other than that everything is good.

BLOWER MECHANISMS (Annually)
Unplug the stove and pull the unit forward to access the two blowers. Vacuum all dust from motors.
The blower motors have sealed bearings, DO NOT lubricate these motors. Check gaskets and replace if
needed.

Not uncommon in any stove for blowers to make noise when the are in need of cleaning. Are you sure the noise was coming from one of the fans? Looks like you just started using the convection blower 10/12 (October 2012?) and if that is the case I am sort of surprised the fan made noise already. I would do a big cleaning on that stove if the fan is already beginning to get ash related issues IMO.

BLOWER MECHANISMS (Annually)
Unplug the stove and pull the unit forward to access the two blowers. Vacuum all dust from motors.
The blower motors have sealed bearings, DO NOT lubricate these motors. Check gaskets and replace if
needed.

Not uncommon in any stove for blowers to make noise when the are in need of cleaning. Are you sure the noise was coming from one of the fans? Looks like you just started using the convection blower 10/12 (October 2012?) and if that is the case I am sort of surprised the fan made noise already. I would do a big cleaning on that stove if the fan is already beginning to get ash related issues IMO.

Definitely the turbo fan. I put the new fan in a little over a year ago. The dealer told me I'm SOL for enviro replacing it because they only warranty replacement parts for 1 year. Ived ripped everything part twice. This last time I unhooked the fan, unscrewed it and took it completely out. Spun it around and it spun fine. Didn't seem warped. It seems to make this "tinny noise" on lower speeds only.

Is it spinning too slow on lower speeds? Could it be the capacitor? Could that explain why it doesn't kick up anymore when I shut it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.