M55 Updated Conventional Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJ

Hi folks

After discussing with my dealer about the new updated blower for my m55 FS, I decided to give it a try. They ordered me the new blower under warranty but would not cover the labour cost. Therefore I said it can't be too hard so I attempted it last night. Well, after watching the youtube video of replacing the blower it went very smooth in terms of taking the old blower out. When I installed the new blower it came with a capacitor which made me a little worried if I was going to mess something up. In the enclosed directions it says to remove the old capacitor.....I could not see one (I'm not very techy) like that so I assumed it came off when I took the old blower out. Either way I finished hooking up the new blower and closed everything back up and ran the stove........it was a lot louder. When my stove starts anyway there is a humm off it like a timer....kinda like a steady buzz till the stove warms up. This usually takes about 3 to 5 minutes approx. My stove had this humm plus another one in the background which was similar but did not go away. It stayed and was very loud. After the stove warmed up I moved the settings up to 5 which is full blast and it was very loud. Within an hour I had let the stove cool and than pulled the new blower back out and put the old one back in. Any thoughts of what I might of messed up or should I of removed a capicitor along the way. Very confussed.

The stove did put out a lot more air but I was not going to keep it that way as the stove was so loud. To give you an idea I downloaded a "DB App" for my iphone which I know is not true reading but I held it against where the air comes out before and after the blower.....before the blower with kids in the room and tv on etc....the reading was 56 db....after with the new blower and kids etc...similar situation it was 87 db. I know this is not a true reading but gives you an idea that it was a lot louder.

Any thoughts?

JimmyJ,

Great Post. This is the information I have been interested in. I have considered the new blower
but was concerned about the noise. Never had any overheating with the original style blower.

I notice a lot of us (no names) practice the fix it till its broke. Me too sometimes :red:
But I think I will stick with the original equipment.

Also at startup mine makes the similar noise/humming for 3-5 minutes then gone, I believe
it is the air pump for the ignitor.

JimmyJ said:
Hi folks

After discussing with my dealer about the new updated blower for my m55 FS, I decided to give it a try. They ordered me the new blower under warranty but would not cover the labour cost. Therefore I said it can't be too hard so I attempted it last night. Well, after watching the youtube video of replacing the blower it went very smooth in terms of taking the old blower out. When I installed the new blower it came with a capacitor which made me a little worried if I was going to mess something up. In the enclosed directions it says to remove the old capacitor.....I could not see one (I'm not very techy) like that so I assumed it came off when I took the old blower out. Either way I finished hooking up the new blower and closed everything back up and ran the stove........it was a lot louder. When my stove starts anyway there is a humm off it like a timer....kinda like a steady buzz till the stove warms up. This usually takes about 3 to 5 minutes approx. My stove had this humm plus another one in the background which was similar but did not go away. It stayed and was very loud. After the stove warmed up I moved the settings up to 5 which is full blast and it was very loud. Within an hour I had let the stove cool and than pulled the new blower back out and put the old one back in. Any thoughts of what I might of messed up or should I of removed a capicitor along the way. Very confussed.

The stove did put out a lot more air but I was not going to keep it that way as the stove was so loud. To give you an idea I downloaded a "DB App" for my iphone which I know is not true reading but I held it against where the air comes out before and after the blower.....before the blower with kids in the room and tv on etc....the reading was 56 db....after with the new blower and kids etc...similar situation it was 87 db. I know this is not a true reading but gives you an idea that it was a lot louder.

Any thoughts?

If a motor comes with a cap you do not remove it. It is there to make certain the motor actually starts rotating in the correct direction at least until the capacitor starts going flaky.

The directions specifically said to remove the OLD CAPACITOR you should have stopped there and asked for help.

I'd put the capacitor you removed back where it was and retry the new blower just as it came to you meanwhile please post a picture of the new blower and the capacitor where it was when you got it.

I believe the directions are written, assuming you are replacing an identical blower with the new one.
In which case you replace both the blower and capcitor. The original blower does not have a seperate capacitor like the new one.

Check out this thread for pictures of the old and new blower.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78629/

The hum that went away is definitely your ignitor air pump. You might have moved some wires or changed things so that the pump is touching something. It will then cause a loud hum because it is rattling against something. Sometimes my OAK pipe will touch it if I don't get it in just right.

Sorry to hear the new blower was so loud. I noticed it too, but not any louder than the average stove. I wouldn't put your phone in the air coming out of the stove because it will pick up wind noise going thru the mic which is not accurate.

flynfrfun said:
Sorry to hear the new blower was so loud. I noticed it too, but not any louder than the average stove.

That's what's most frustrating. You buy the stove based on the sales pitch of above average performance, and pay a little more for this.
Then after trial and tribulation end up with a stove that still performs, however one of the biggest selling points turns out just average............ :mad:

Generally I am satisfied with my purchase, just sad to see so many others with issues and Enviro's solutions that result in average.

Wachusett said:
flynfrfun said:
Sorry to hear the new blower was so loud. I noticed it too, but not any louder than the average stove.

That's what's most frustrating. You buy the stove based on the sales pitch of above average performance, and pay a little more for this.
Then after trial and tribulation end up with a stove that still performs, however one of the biggest selling points turns out just average............ :mad:

Generally I am satisfied with my purchase, just sad to see so many others with issues and Enviro's solutions that result in average.

I don't see this, The over heating was fixed with the auger cover. So the higher cfm blower really wasn't needed. I heard/saw the complaints of the owners asking for more volume from the convection blower. IMHO Enviro stepped up and put a higher cfm blower in the units.

I suppose if you all complained of the noise, Maybe they would have both blowers so you could choose?

Thanks for the info, Jimmy.

The "humm like timer" noise might be the stove metal expanding. I hear that sometimes on mine on start up and then it goes away. That's how the Enviro tech explained it when I spoke to him.

Anyway, I think I'll wait for the higher CFM motor with the lower noise level, if it ever comes.

Others have made the point, and I agree, if the blower output could be just a little more and controlled to be left on high even on the lower settings, I would be happy. But really, I am happy with my stove.

I am doing a thorough cleaning once every two weeks!!!!!

SmokeyTheBear said:
JimmyJ said:
Hi folks

Any thoughts?

If a motor comes with a cap you do not remove it. It is there to make certain the motor actually starts rotating in the correct direction at least until the capacitor starts going flaky.

The directions specifically said to remove the OLD CAPACITOR you should have stopped there and asked for help.

I'd put the capacitor you removed back where it was and retry the new blower just as it came to you meanwhile please post a picture of the new blower and the capacitor where it was when you got it.

The old blower was removed as per the YouTube video showing you the step by step process. I than opened my box which had the new blower and it was obviously different. It had an attached capacitor as the pictures posted on this form show. I "NEVER" removed anything other than the original blower. I installed the new blower and wired it as per directions and turned the stove on. I was "ASKING" if there was something I missed and should of removed. I came on "here" looking for some help to see if there was something else I should of, or could of, done.

The stove is located in my living room beside my tv so noise is a factor. For example, I normally turn my stove to 2 or 3 for my heat setting and the volume on the tv to 12. With the new blower and the heat set at 3 my volume had to be turned to 17/18.

Thanks

JimmyJ,

I believe your install is correct. The original motor has capacitor attached to it. The new one does not.

JimmyJ said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
JimmyJ said:
Hi folks

Any thoughts?

The old blower was removed as per the YouTube video showing you the step by step process. I than opened my box which had the new blower and it was obviously different. It had an attached capacitor as the pictures posted on this form show. I "NEVER" removed anything other than the original blower. I installed the new blower and wired it as per directions and turned the stove on. I was "ASKING" if there was something I missed and should of removed. I came on "here" looking for some help to see if there was something else I should of, or could of, done.

The stove is located in my living room beside my tv so noise is a factor. For example, I normally turn my stove to 2 or 3 for my heat setting and the volume on the tv to 12. With the new blower and the heat set at 3 my volume had to be turned to 17/18.

Thanks

Depending upon what is the actual cause of the noise you may or may not be able to dampen it. If it is from air flow being forced through tubing then likely there is nothing you can do, if it is from various harmonics being set up in the metal of the stove you might be able to shim that away, if it is from an unbalanced fan you might be able to balance the fan and eliminate or reduce the noise. All noise reduction requires the precise source to be located, a mechanics stethoscope is a great way to isolate noise to a particular location.

I also have a enviro m55 install done one year ago, my convection blower blew out this week, the dealer I bought the stove from has gone out of business, they were crooks, anyway I can't find a dealer that wants to help me with the warranty of this, but will sell me a new blower, it will be the old style as they tell me the turbo ones are unavailable, my question, I've seen alot of post where people have emailed Enviro and gotten reply's, I did try stuarts email I found in an old post but no reply anyone care to share contact info so I can this this problem resolved, wasn't my fault the dealer went out of business I was trying to do the right thing by buying local, any help would be appreciated

One thing to watch when you install the new blower is to make sure the top doesn't touch the metal ducting of the stove. I shimmed mine when I first installed it and the back ended up touching the ducting which created a loud buzzing noise. I removed the shims and it was much quieter. Next time I slide my stove out, I plan on isolating the fan housing from the stove with some of the high temp felt gasket material. This will isolate it like how the exhaust fan is isolated by it's gasket.

I've listened carefully to my new blower and it's hard to say what is making the most noise...the motor or the fan. I believe most of the irritating noise we hear is coming from the motor and not the fan. The control panel's fan speed control could be contributing too. In my electric r/c planes some motor speed controls cause the motor to be noisy if the frequency is not set right. I wish I knew more about electronics and motors as I get the feeling this motor could be made quieter with a little tweaking of the electronics.

Mssi said:
I also have a enviro m55 install done one year ago, my convection blower blew out this week, the dealer I bought the stove from has gone out of business, they were crooks, anyway I can't find a dealer that wants to help me with the warranty of this, but will sell me a new blower, it will be the old style as they tell me the turbo ones are unavailable, my question, I've seen alot of post where people have emailed Enviro and gotten reply's, I did try stuarts email I found in an old post but no reply anyone care to share contact info so I can this this problem resolved, wasn't my fault the dealer went out of business I was trying to do the right thing by buying local, any help would be appreciated

Contact Enviro by phone, They might be able to help with locating a new dealer. Your stove is still under warranty, So they should cover the cost of the blower. No sense in spending money if you don't need to.

Where are you located, We might be of better help if we knew where your at. If you insist on buying one yourself. There is a couple of Enviro dealers on this site. Pelletdude and stoveguy13 both sell them and maybe they can help you with ordering a new one.

I am in Dayton, Maine southern Maine, sorry about that what was the phone number,
Also anyone have any info re what I am told about the new convection blowers not available the dealers around me can only get the old ones, but my opinion is they won't last as they get way to hot running and motors arn't suppose to get that hot

Status
Not open for further replies.