M55 Warranty Service Fee Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markinmd

Oct 30, 2010
Maryland
After having the high-limit sensor trip several times on my M55, dealer came out and placed a cover plate over part of the feed auger to slow the feed rate down. This was an approved warranty repair by Enviro, however the dealer is charging $40 for a service call fee even though the unit was under warranty and this repair fixed a stove defect. Anyone else experience a similar charge by their dealer? They are not budging on the fee stating that Enviro does not reimburse them for the service call. I see it as a case where they sold me a stove that had a design defect and that they should stand behind the product. Any comments, opinions or past experiences?

I'm trying to reach their Enviro sales rep directly to discuss the fee but so far to no avail. Considering that I've now got a very noisy exhaust fan that needs to be checked I'd like to see if I can avoid the fee by dealing with Enviro directly, hoping they'll stand behind the product. Thought I did my research before purchasing the stove but while the dealer assured me they stood behind their products and warranties never mentioned that separate service charges. Never had this problem with my old Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon (thru a different dealer) but if it's the norm I'll have to suck it up.

Other than this issue love the stove so far. Have gone thru 3 tons this winter and it hasn't let me down. Doesn't throw as much heat as my old Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon (non AE), but according to Enviro customer service they are working a higher volume fan that should throw out more heat (didn't say if it could be used for retrofits though). However the M55 so far has been much more dependable and is much, much easier to clean and maintain.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, I have not read the warranty regarding whats covered etc.. However on the combustion fan noise, I had a similar concern/issue with mine.
After my first ton the fan had a louder vibrating sound, than it had earlier on. I removed the combustion fan (5 tiny screws) the fan blade had ash/soot
buildup on it and when spun the blade was not spinning true. It had a slight wobble, took my time and cleaned it, then GENTLY bent the fan blade back such
that backside of the blade was always offset from the motor and even amount all the way around. Again any adjustments need to be done carefully so
as not to disturb the balance of the fan blade. After all this the fan was as quiet as new. Could be just ash buildup.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Hope to be shutting it down next week and doing a full cleaning so I'll include the fan also. However, it's currently snowing here in Maryland so that may be wishful thinking.

markinmd said:
Thanks, I'll check it out. Hope to be shutting it down next week and doing a full cleaning so I'll include the fan also. However, it's currently snowing here in Maryland so that may be wishful thinking.

Be sure to have a new gasket on hand when you remove that combustion blower. They don't always survive the operation in good enough shape to be reused.

I believe the warranty does say that the actual service call is not covered, but the parts are. IMHO in this case they should be covering it totally since it is an engineering defect and not a failed component. I have only had the high limit sensor trip once when the convection blower failed to come on. The stove got really hot without that air and finally shut down. Mine does not have the auger cover plate modification. I have ran mine on heat level 5 for about 2hrs without it overheating. Of course, maybe it would with a hotter pellet.

I think it's up to the dealer though. Mine came out to replace my auger and did it for free. When my convection blower went bad, he came out and helped me put the new one in for free also. It's not like he's all that close either...about 20miles away. But, at least yours only charged $40 for the service call...that's pretty reasonable. But, I'm sure you are fighting back because of the "principle" of the whole thing.
Flynfrfun

I have to say, the Enviro M55 videos are great...sure make maintenance easy. I don't know if it's Enviro or one of their dealers, but I'm glad they took the time to do them.
Flynfrfun

Sir, good choice in the M55, I'm a dealer here in Mid CT, Enviro is our main line, they make great woodstoves, and I've found their pellet stoves to be as good as any especially from a money spent, received value comparison. The M55 has performed well for a newer stove. Your dealer should have absorbed the 40 fee, our store finds it hard to charge s/call fees after a customer has given us his/her money on the initial purchase and most of the time installation. We also will benefit down the line with service and cleaning income, I'm not throwing stones against another dealer, it just seems someone isn't being reasonable here. Good luck and by the way, pellet fuel quality is always most important thing, and I would refrain from running any stove on 5, your car can go 120MPH, but will certainly not last as long!

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 (simple design, been around a long time..)
Enviro 1700 FS wood

Thanks for the feedback Stovelark. I only run it on 5 for short bursts in the coldest weather to bring temps up quick. Otherwise it is normally running on level 3.
Flynfrfun

MarkinMd,

I have burned my M55 FS on 5 for long periods of time with no issues, so i am not sure about that one.

However, I do remember the owner's manual saying that Enviro would pay for reasonable cost of fixing something covered under the warranty. I think the stoves being so expensive, something like that should be covered and the dealer is being silly charging that much. Interestingly enough, I am also getting a noise from one of the motors, a clicking sound.

However, the fix they gave you doesn't sound it would be too permanent. I mean a plate to slow down the auger feed sounds like a temporary fix. I thought Enviro had to replace a plate that would shield the unit better. Do a search, as I think this issue has come up before.

Good luck.

vinny11950 said:
MarkinMd,

I have burned my M55 FS on 5 for long periods of time with no issues, so i am not sure about that one.

However, I do remember the owner's manual saying that Enviro would pay for reasonable cost of fixing something covered under the warranty. I think the stoves being so expensive, something like that should be covered and the dealer is being silly charging that much. Interestingly enough, I am also getting a noise from one of the motors, a clicking sound.

However, the fix they gave you doesn't sound it would be too permanent. I mean a plate to slow down the auger feed sounds like a temporary fix. I thought Enviro had to replace a plate that would shield the unit better. Do a search, as I think this issue has come up before.

Good luck.

My understanding was that some of the M55 cast freestanding didn't come with a metal shield that attaches to the bottom of the heat exhange tube scraper. I think the idea is that it blocks some of the heat from getting to the back of the stove towards the hopper. My M55 cast insert has this steel shield. It only covers about 1/2 of the heat exchange tubes towards the back. The front half of the tubes are open to the fire. I have not had problems with overtemp. I attached a pic of the shield on my stove...
Flynfrfun

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 508
markinmd said:
After having the high-limit sensor trip several times on my M55, dealer came out and placed a cover plate over part of the feed auger to slow the feed rate down. This was an approved warranty repair by Enviro, however the dealer is charging $40 for a service call fee even though the unit was under warranty and this repair fixed a stove defect. Anyone else experience a similar charge by their dealer? They are not budging on the fee stating that Enviro does not reimburse them for the service call. I see it as a case where they sold me a stove that had a design defect and that they should stand behind the product. Any comments, opinions or past experiences?

Thanks,

Mark

I had the same issue with my M55 insert and my dealer came out and replaced the auger cover for no charge. Haven't had a problem since.

From page 27 of the M55 FS technical manual:

"Limited Two (2) Year Warranty: Under this warranty, Sherwood Industries Ltd. covers: Ignitor, Auger Motor, Circuit Board, Timers, Temp Sensors, Blowers, Vacuum Switch and Wire Harness, against defects in materials and workmanship, for part repair or replacement for the first two (2) years and limited labour for the first two (2) years to the original purchaser. Please see the exclusions and limitation section below as certain restrictions and exclusions apply to this warranty."

So I guess the key words here are "limited labour," whatever that means. It seems they will pay for reasonable charges and not for very expensive ones. So it then depends what kind of deal/relationship they have with the dealer. And maybe the dealer is just trying to cover some costs on his end that Enviro will not.

I had a similar thing happen with a new on demand electric water heater that broke on the first week of use. Called the plumber who installed it originally to replace it and he charged me another $100 to switch out and install the new unit they sent me. Plumber said it wasn't his fault the thing broke in the first place. I agreed and billed the manufacturer and still haven't heard back from them. I wonder if you could try to bill Sherwood Industries?

Hope this helps, Mark.

Vinny

Back to charging/not charging. If a customer bought the stove from us, we dont charge for a call in most cases. The exception is the American Energy stoves. They have zero labor warranty. So, when I sell somone one of those, I tell em up front that if there is a call, the part may be warranteed, but the labor wont be. Then I make them sign something. Of course, I show them stoves with better warranties also. At least that way, there is no shock down the road.

Franks said:
Back to charging/not charging. If a customer bought the stove from us, we dont charge for a call in most cases. The exception is the American Energy stoves. They have zero labor warranty. So, when I sell somone one of those, I tell em up front that if there is a call, the part may be warranteed, but the labor wont be. Then I make them sign something. Of course, I show them stoves with better warranties also. At least that way, there is no shock down the road.

Read the fine print on the AES products...the parts warranty goes from 1 year from the date of manufacture and NOT purchase or installation date. Hmmmmm. Those crafty folks at AES. Did they ever send you contract paperwork asking you to have 80% of your showroom dedicated to their product? I got a HUGE contract thing...I just tossed it into the circular filing can.

The problem being....if yer selling stoves...that profit that you get for making the transaction isn't yours until the warranty expires. I think pretty much every manufacturer is somewhat clear on that. And, even at that, they are only going to send ya a check for $45 bucks or so for reimbursement. I see if a competing dealership had to take on the warranty install for another dealer gone belly up.....

Still, $40 is reasonable considering I may charge 5x that for something of that nature mid season.

smwilliamson said:
Franks said:

Read the fine print on the AES products...the parts warranty goes from 1 year from the date of manufacture and NOT purchase or installation date. Hmmmmm. Those crafty folks at AES. Did they ever send you contract paperwork asking you to have 80% of your showroom dedicated to their product? I got a HUGE contract thing...I just tossed it into the circular filing can.

Yup, I just told them I'll keep one display and they will warranty for 1 year after date of purchase or I dont sell their stoves. Let them find someone else if they dont like it. They have been a decent company to work with and I really like the large countryside stove with the new SS stirrer.

Hearth and Home Tech only covers the parts on a warranty repair. The Dealer is in his rights to charge a service call fee. Does it happen all the time, I can not answer that. I know Breckwell's warranty is no where near what HHT's covers so please read and ask questions on the warranty when you buy your stove. As a Dealer I do eat a lot of service fees and I do answer my cell phone after hours if I am awake.

Has anyone used the warranty on a new TV or washing machine latly? How did it go for you?

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Hearth and Home Tech only covers the parts on a warranty repair. The Dealer is in his rights to charge a service call fee. Does it happen all the time, I can not answer that. I know Breckwell's warranty is no where near what HHT's covers so please read and ask questions on the warranty when you buy your stove. As a Dealer I do eat a lot of service fees and I do answer my cell phone after hours if I am awake.

Has anyone used the warranty on a new TV or washing machine latly? How did it go for you?

Eric

Yup, the remote on my TV quit the second week I had it. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty and they just gave me a new remote in store for nothing. Had I made a claim I'm sure it may have been weeks, if not longer and I may have had to pick up the shipping...who knows.

My new oven range arrived broken. The company wouldn't exchange it, instead they sent a repair tech out to fix it. He got it working and mysteriously a bill arrived for 1/2 the labor to install it. Of coarse I didn't pay it....a month later when my propane delivery didn't show up and I called to ask why? They stated that a repair made on my premises to my heating system wasn't paid and a stop fuel delivery was ordered as there may be an "unsafe" condition present.

Apparently the propane people are all in cahoots with each other...kinda like NCPS for the banks or the blackball list insurance companies use when you don't pay a premium.

I had to pay the bill just so I wouldn't lose my heat and hot water. Lots of fun!

I have no skin in the game, I am just pondering this point. When you sell a stove that has a warranty that is loosely worded do you tell the buyer if they need service to install the parts they will have to pay and how much?

I do not think that there is anything wrong with charging for service as long as the consumer has that info up front before they are a customer. Operating in a manner that is consistent and transparent goes a long way. Now, I know a guy that just got a new name brand stove line. The manufacturer has him set up as a gold star rated dealer because of his buying power and location...but he has absolutely NO service personnel. How does that happen? Not only will he NOT be able to service warranty work in-house and if he has to hire it out....well how are you going to control quality from a subcontractor?

On the subject of manufacturers warranty. Last year I purchased a new french door/bottom freezer refrigerator on the internet with home delivery. 7 months later it stopped working. Nobody in my area would warranty service this unit. I am in no mans land. After many calls to the New Jersey service center, they finally came to the conclusion that no service was available and they would send me check for what I paid for it. I cut the power cord, removed labels from the unit as instructed, copy of bill of sale & mailed those items to them. It took about 2 months but I received a check for what I paid for it minus 25.00 for shipping. YUP.. So I made sure to ask the right questions when purchasing another unit..local, and lesson learned.

markinmd said:

I'm trying to reach their Enviro sales rep directly to discuss the fee but so far to no avail. Considering that I've now got a very noisy exhaust fan that needs to be checked I'd like to see if I can avoid the fee by dealing with Enviro directly, hoping they'll stand behind the product. Thought I did my research before purchasing the stove but while the dealer assured me they stood behind their products and warranties never mentioned that separate service charges. Never had this problem with my old Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon (thru a different dealer) but if it's the norm I'll have to suck it up.

Other than this issue love the stove so far. Have gone thru 3 tons this winter and it hasn't let me down. Doesn't throw as much heat as my old Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon (non AE), but according to Enviro customer service they are working a higher volume fan that should throw out more heat (didn't say if it could be used for retrofits though). However the M55 so far has been much more dependable and is much, much easier to clean and maintain.

Thanks,

Mark

I think the $40 service fee is certainly justified by dealer. Heck, that's pretty cheap, but you shouldn't have to pay it. Personally, I'd forward the invoice right to the Enviro rep (let them pay it). YOU shouldn't have to pay for it, but the dealer deserves to be paid. It's a design flaw on Enviro's part. Really, it should work like a new car with a factory recall........recall notice sent to customer, customer takes to dealer, dealer corrects problems and get paid.

So then wouldn't be the dealers problem with the company, using your reasoning?

TLHinCanada said:
I have no skin in the game, I am just pondering this point. When you sell a stove that has a warranty that is loosely worded do you tell the buyer if they need service to install the parts they will have to pay and how much?

I do not sell "less quality or loosely worded warrantied products" units, anymore. I learned my lesson by grabbing any stove I could when I first started in this business. Yes, there are a lot of brands I will not sell no matter what. I know what the MFG will do with what ever stove I currently will sell. Have I had to debate with a MFG, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.