Ma SREC pays out $426/ rec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
I've got roof top solar in Masachusetts. For the last two years I've been getting ~$240/ rec. I produce around 6 rec / year ( thats ~6 MWh). In this last auction I pulled in $426.

Anyone have a clue why the payout increased so much?

SREC and REC prices in many markets have been increasing, due to simple demand, I think.

I buy wind power generated in PA, and my price difference with conventional power tracks wind RECs in PA, which have gone up to more like $20 recently from $3 several years ago (corresponding to 2.0 cents and 0.3 cents per kWh). The only places with low (<$5) REC prices now are places with a huge stranded supply, like West Texas wind.

But still, someone is desperate to buy MA solar power at 42.5 cents/kWh? I **guess** that if a utility had to have XX% solar in its mix by 2015, the demand could be there, and they would pass on the costs to their rate payers??

I think that's the case. Mass dumped biomass plants as a renewable source, Cape Wind went belly up and they have a high renewable portfolio standard so SREC are valuable. I also think they carve out that the SREC have to be generated in Mass as my SRECs in NH cant be sold to Mass. I wish it did as NH SREC are kept artificially low at around $45

There is also speculation that various parties are conspiring to raise the power rates substantially in MASS due to SRECs to force the state to declare Canadian hydro renewable. Its not currently considered renewable due to a variety of concerns on the actual source of the hydro. VT wanted to get rid of Vermont Yankee so they very quietly declared Canadian hydro green a few years ago.

Mass prices are still up... the last two srecs I sold in october were for $439 each

When I started they were selling at $229

Status
Not open for further replies.