MA subsidizes clean-burning stove upgrades

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
Spotted a news story this morning which reports that Massachusetts will pay up to $2000 to encourage owners of older "dirty" stoves to upgrade. Until Jan. 17 the program is open only to low-income residents, with a $2000 rebate voucher. After that date, it is open to all MA residents, with a $1000 voucher.

The official announcement by the Departmentt of Energy is here:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/pr-2012/woodstove-trade-in-program-for-new-clean-stoves.html

-dan

EDIT: I did not see the existing topics on this until I scrolled pretty deep, so apologies for the duplication. I don't see a way to delete this post, but mods feel free to do so.

This Massachusetts incentive opportunity has got me seriously considering the replacement of the Monster in the Living Room. I'm quite fond of the monster, but I envy those with the ability to look at the pretty glow through the glass.

I've got a open loft like situation New England Chalet (fancy cape) that is 36X28 so I'm heating maybe 1750 sq ft upstairs.. and I've also got a finished family room in the basement where I have a Resolute Acclaim.

My "died and went to heaven" stove would be an enameled Jotul Oslo or P5 or a Woodstock Fireview. But to take advantage of the Mass incentive money I'm guessing I'd need to purchase in Mass. (I should call Woodstock and ask them if they can and/or would participate in the Mass program).

On the other hand, I'm recently retired and prefer to spend most of my "mad money" on things like motorcycles/touring trips, or ski equipment/skiing, or many other toys.. BUT! ...$1K from the Commonwealth of Mass (where I pay way to many taxes already) has me thinking.

So if I were to look for other lower cost stoves, what are my options? I know the Englander NC30 is a possibility and looks like I might swing that deal for free. $899 with a $1K voucher! :) ...but I'm not in love with the look of the Englander. I noticed that HD also has a couple of USSC stoves on the website, that range in the $1300 and $1500 range. Anyone got any input on those?

What else might be in the $1-$2K range that I might be interested in?

Any other thoughts on this. it's like getting $1K discount off the top price of the stove. ...and I am guessing I might then be able to turn around and sell the Monster for a few hundred bucks, but maybe not. Maybe Massachusetts will melt it down and make license plates out of it or something.

Here's a couple pics of what I'll replace.

141310008.jpg

140428735.jpg

Slightly OT, but your pic caught my eye because your living room looks so much like my riding pal's living room. He lives in Pepperell, so maybe the same builder? That led me to the last line of your sig, which I love. If you see me (BMW F800 ST) and him (Ducati ST3s) on 119 once heating season is over, wave.

-dan

Slightly OT, but your pic caught my eye because your living room looks so much like my riding pal's living room. He lives in Pepperell, so maybe the same builder? That led me to the last line of your sig, which I love. If you see me (BMW F800 ST) and him (Ducati ST3s) on 119 once heating season is over, wave.

-dan

Dan, will do. I doubt I could keep up wit you guys.. but I know my way around some roads pretty well. 119 (North) for me is the gateway to nirvana.

Reactions: danham
UPDATE via AP 1/21/13:

BOSTON - Just a few weeks after it launched an incentive program to prompt residents to get rid of inefficient wood stoves, Massachusetts is expanding it.
The state Department of Energy Resources says it took just 12 days to exhaust the $100,000 allotted for a pilot program started in late December.
On Friday, it announced that it's relaunching the program with $800,000 in rebates for the replacement of inefficient wood- or coal-burning stoves.
Low income residents who qualify for the program could receive a voucher of $2,000 to buy lower-polluting newer models that use less wood. Other residents are eligible for a $1,000 rebate on the cleaner-burning stoves.

Dang. I bought mine thinking it wouldn't be expanded and one of the local shops told me it was close to being full. Fortunately, they discounted to get the business....300 dollar difference not in my favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.