MAC 160s Wont pull

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
No clue about this saw. Got it for free. should make for a decent climbing saw, but mostly excellent limbing saw. hasnt been ran in a while. Got it from the Grandfather after he used it once 20 some years ago. basically brand new, in the case, manual and all.

Replaceed fuel etc. clean filter, spark plug yada yada.

she wont even pull.... any thoughts? anyone run one know a history. any good? worth me tinkering with, swearing over and cutting knuckles trying to get her to bark to life?

do you know what year it was built, the mack of the 90's not worth it to me. I have a running 3216 lol..If I ever think about climbing with it I will just jump save a lot of frustrating time.

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
If I ever think about climbing with it I will just jump save a lot of frustrating time.

Harsh!!!!

Not Really! It would be my fought for climbing with it..lol

Ouch. Id have to check but if I was to guess..id say 90's could be right.
However this saw is a gem, it was as if i opened a time capsle. brand new saw just as old as me...
I think mechanically its fine, but notihing at all in the book about the pull rope. I tok off the cover and it has a catch with two spring loaded white blocks...you really cant pull the rope if this mechanism is in there. (works removed obviously). I wish i knew more about this odd contraption as i really dont want to put undue strain on my back, arms and well most importanly my baby. Need to shorten some wood for n/s burning. that and wielding it wouldnt hurt much either.
any way to turn it manually make sure the piston aint froze?

Ever take that thing apart? is it going to be like a chinese coco clock?

better to hoist that up then an anchor

bsides i wont climb unless i must

Yes you can pull out the plug and turn the flywheel to see if it will spin freely...

I would unwind the rope then remove the spring that is holding the pawls in place and slowly and easily remove the rope rotor or spool.. Be careful because rewinding the spring under there is not fun....

Now only you know if spending time and money on this saw is worth it to you.. With it's history I would ;)

Here's mine clinder is perfect and looks pretty new. Ported and muff modd. very quick 2-3 cuts at a time but better than it was before porting lol

Attachments

• mac1.jpg
    mac1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 223
  • mac2.jpg
    mac2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 248
southbound said:
Yes you can pull out the plug and turn the flywheel to see if it will spin freely...

I would unwind the rope then remove the spring that is holding the pawls in place and slowly and easily remove the rope rotor or spool.. Be careful because rewinding the spring under there is not fun....

Now only you know if spending time and money on this saw is worth it to you.. With it's history I would ;)

the rope is in it own housing that comes off the flywheel. it catches on those paws. Now ill have to go check but im guessing that if I cant get the flywheel to turn..Theres a nut on the end my guess is that? hmmm. I was able to pull it first time out of the box. but sat for a spell after that..

just remove the starter rewind "the rope is in it own housing that comes off" then pull the plug and turn the flywheel.. that will let you know if it is locked up...

Stump_Branch said:
southbound said:

the rope is in it own housing that comes off the flywheel. it catches on those paws. Now ill have to go check but im guessing that if I cant get the flywheel to turn..Theres a nut on the end my guess is that? hmmm. I was able to pull it first time out of the box. but sat for a spell after that..

Should be free I pulled the rope right out of mine...aggravating saw he you have to have it, but fun just to bust a few cookies out off a saw buck.

because i havent enjoyed to many tonight, i checked. i can tunn it either way uptil top dead center and, dingk. metal to metal sound that wont let me past. sounds like it has nice omcpression as i pass the exhaust port. where in the world could this thing be locked up at? some foregin object in there? i couldnt see a connecting arm or counter weight, crankshaft being bent, it turns free through the rest of the stroke....anything i can do?

Stump_Branch said:
because i havent enjoyed to many tonight, i checked. i can tunn it either way uptil top dead center and, dingk. metal to metal sound that wont let me past. sounds like it has nice omcpression as i pass the exhaust port. where in the world could this thing be locked up at? some foregin object in there? i couldnt see a connecting arm or counter weight, crankshaft being bent, it turns free through the rest of the stroke....anything i can do?

pull the muffler and see what you got

the manual could be from an earlier printing but, 1985 thats what she states.

i guess i am actually older then the saw

smokinjay said:
Stump_Branch said:

pull the muffler and see what you got
x2
Pay attention to piston slop as you work it up and down. If you got a worn out piston it could be rocking in the cylinder and hitting on one side at TDC. If that's the case then you might be able to get by with a new piston. worst case would be a new cylinder, too. It was grandpa's saw, so it might be worth it if you are up to the challenge.

Could be as easy as something fell into the cylinder through the exhaust side of it.

Stump_Branch said:

lol I have pimples older than that.

smokinjay said:
Stump_Branch said:

lol I have boots that old,pimples too maybe.

smokinjay said:
Stump_Branch said:

zits that can drink

yes removed plug before rotating it. something internal me thinks...

The few times I have run across this before it was do to a foreign object getting in there...

Like a bit of rope after someone tried to remove a clutch....

Pull the muffler and turn it over see what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.