Madawaska Gasification Boiler (Dr Hill) Need HELP with set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg.ouellette

Jun 29, 2010
Northern Maine
I have decided to keep the boiler, after pricing new ones I know I can make this one work with alot less money then a new one.

I need help in getting it plumbed. I can do all the plumbing and I know alot about heating appliances etc. BUT I have 1000 gallons of heat storage for it and I am needing some guidance on OPEN systems. I am zoned with pumps and my hot water(domestic) is thru a Amtrol boiler mate and I am installing a Slant FIN electric boiler for summer hot water

What I need to know is how to TIE it in to my closed system without the use of a Flat plate heat exchanger.

I am all radiant in the house, either staple up between joist or in slab in the basement. This is an old house and I am buttoning it up tighter this summer so lighten the heat load.
Last winter I burned 8 cords of wood and NO oil. For heat and hot water.. I currently am using an old wood boiler that I took on trade when I was in business and it works great..(the only downfall is small firebox)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. PM me if you want.

BTW I have what it takes to rebuild the base and all plumbing to piece it back together. I am pressure testing the tanks to make sure they dont leak and also the expansion tanks.

Thanks

Attachments

• boiler skin.jpg
    boiler skin.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 537
  • Chambers.jpg
    Chambers.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 547
  • Expansion tanks.jpg
    Expansion tanks.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 553
  • 2 of the 3 tanks.jpg
    2 of the 3 tanks.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 3rd tank.jpg
    3rd tank.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 532
The whole original report is here. I have already sent some emails with additional info.

http://hotandcold.tv/wood furnace.html

Thanks Tom
I do have this information it actually came with the boiler when I picked it up. I guess what I am looking for if there is anyone out there that is using one of these or a Jetstream that can give me some pointers.
This is going to be a basement install and I will install it open but my only issue is the expansion tanks and venting them do I install them higher than the tanks or higher than the highest zone... Which this is a 2 story farm house...

Any input is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Greg

I will ask Dick Hill, but as I recall, they plumbed the tanks and had them under some minor standing head pressure. The expansion tanks you have would be above the tanks in the basement. When the water heats up and expands, it would push up into the expansion tanks. This would create a little bit of pressure on the storage tanks, but it should be okay.
By keeping the tanks full and the expansion tanks overhead, there should be minimal corrosion, especially if the system has some corrosion inhibitor in the system.

These oil tanks are not really meant for this use, but they did stand up to this use for a while.

Thanks for the input
So these tanks I have were not what came with the boiler initially. Regardless I am going to test them before and if I can get 5 years out of them that will be fine.

I was planning on doing refractory due to less work. but I see for ease of maintenance using fire brick would be better.

I am going to wait till I hear back from the cement guy before I proceed. I have plenty of work to get the tanks ready.

Thanks

I think this type of tank is what was originally used. These might not be the originals that came with the system. They did have a finite life span.

I have kept an eye out over the years for former madawaska/dumont Dr Hill furnaces and have talked to a few former owners. The major reason why they seem to have gotten taken out was after the storage tanks failed and flooded the basement with 550 gallons of rusty stinky water when one of the oil tanks used for water storage failed. If at all possible have a containment and floor drain at a minimum if you insist on using a carbon sttel open tank. The furnaces were expensive when new and I think the oil tanks were used as they were cheap. Several years ago I saw a project that had the same style tank but made out of stainless. I have looked and asked many times but havent found what compnay makes them.

The oil tanks were Dick's idea. We started working together since I was manufacturing tanks and he liked them a lot more than the oil tanks.
Engineers sometimes live in a cloistered environment and do not anticipate things like 1,000 gallons of hot stinky water flowing across a basement.

I have replaced these tanks and a lot of DIY tanks. I never got to see the original installations and everything was cleaned up when we arrived to install a new tank.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

A good floor drain is always a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.