Made a Convert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
A friend of mine from work just closed on a coupla acre lot. It's all wooded with cherry and oak. He and others at work always chuckled when I talked about heating with wood, cutting wood, splitting wood etc. (I think you all know the drill.

Three weeks ago I went out there and started cutting and cleaning with him. He asked if he could use my saw a bit and I obliged. I got a a couple loads of wood.

Two weeks ago he showed up with an MS 290, some safety gear and a thirst for running his saw. I brought my maul to split up some larger rounds to get them to the trailer and he then wanted to split up a bit of wood. The wood he split, he through into a pile away from my trailer. I got a load of wood.

At work last week he asked about stacking wood and I suggested stacking on pallets. I told him I'd bring a couple this weekend.

I showed up today and he had a Fiskars SS in his hand and was already swinging away on some rounds. He said that he and his wife were thinking about getting a wood burner for their new place (to be built on this lot) and wanted to keep more of the wood. I said no problem - there is plenty of wood for both of us and he's still willing to share if I continue to help him. I got a load of wood.

I told him about this sight and that he might want to check it out. He may be here as we speak. He's a good guy and I'm glad to have a wood accomplice.

Hope he stays at it, can't beat a hard working "wood accomplice" as you put it!

i agree i had a wood accomplice.. but he's so far ahead he took a year or so off... im just starting next years wood.. so im scrounging cutting splitting and stacking along with my 3 1/2 year old... i can't complain.. hes a hard worker :)

Occo370 said:
i agree i had a wood accomplice.. but he's so far ahead he took a year or so off... im just starting next years wood.. so im scrounging cutting splitting and stacking along with my 3 1/2 year old... i can't complain.. hes a hard worker :)

I hear you can pay them in ice cream sandwiches and popsicles . . . just ask Chris from NJ. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Occo370 said:

I hear you can pay them in ice cream sandwiches and popsicles . . . just ask Chris from NJ. ;) :)

Cheap labor indeed, and they are also great ant squishers :)

Schortie, I do hope you did make a convert. That man will really be thanking you for a long, long time. Nice work!

ChrisNJ said:
firefighterjake said:
Occo370 said:

Cheap labor indeed, and they are also great ant squishers :)

HehHeh . . . I was wondering if you were still hanging out here Chris!

Backwoods Savage said:
Schortie, I do hope you did make a convert. That man will really be thanking you for a long, long time. Nice work!

As we all know, it doesn't take much to get hooked on making firewood. I can't take all the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.