made a decision, sort of..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have decided to go with either a froling or an eko gasser, finally got in contact with a couple dealers. Now i am struggling with the idea of under floor radiant heat for the two upper floors(1200 sq ft per floor). For the basement I am putting in slab radiant heat. One dealer has recommend two 400 gallon, pressurized storage tanks in sequence. I also will be heating DHW with the system. My question is this, what is the best method to place the pex tubing in the floor joist opening? i have looked at several different methods, i am totally new to radiant heat and i am interested in everyones opinions
thanks in advance

Reactions: jasonh
The best way to determine which of the various radiant sub-floor systems is to have a proper heat load performed on radiant based software.

In our Canadian design work we always us extruded plates for 175% of the output of a staple-up and roughly 50% more than perfectly installed thin plates.

I have staple up... using the special wirsbo staples for the purpose. It has 8" on center spacing.. so 3 per bay in 2 foot trusses. 2 inch hard foam, foil faced insulation beneath with a inch air gap between pipes and insulation. temp in that zone is set to 140 or 145. works good. runs are 300 to 350 feet per.

JP

oh, and no transfer plates at all. flooring above is 17/32 advantek plywood.. with 'decoupling membrane' above with tile, or padding and laminate hardwood on the entire house.

I have staple up... using the special wirsbo staples for the purpose. It has 8" on center spacing.. so 3 per bay in 2 foot trusses. 2 inch hard foam, foil faced insulation beneath with a inch air gap between pipes and insulation. temp in that zone is set to 140 or 145. works good. runs are 300 to 350 feet per.

JP

Good for you, but doesn't help the OP unless you are living in the same house...

Not saying he doesn't need science. Kind of thought I might offer real world of what mine ended up being.

Excuse me for trying to inject info.. I guess it rubbed you the wrong way.

JP

I would go with the Froling. You have an excellent dealer in your area that just installed one with the two pressurized tanks for me and did a great job. if your home is new have you considered pouring lightweight concrete throughout your main floors with tubing in it? this is something we did when we built and it works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.