Made a mistake yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
After receiving almost 3" of rain this week I went back by the creek to see how much water was standing. I could hardly believe it. No standing water and the creek looks as if it had not even rained! That just says how dry the ground was.

While back there I decided to check on area of white ash. Well, there were 2 trees with a very few leafs on; the rest are all bare. I should not have went back there. Makes me very sad to see all that. I hope to be able to cut much more wood this year than last as the sooner I get them out the better I'll feel. I already have 13 cord of ash ready to burn.

On the bright side, there are several small (6" or less) ash that are still alive. Maybe the insects have moved on and our young trees will make it.

I feel your pain. It looks like we are going to be using a lot of ash in the buildout and furnishing of our house. I hope your young ones are spared, I have the same hopes for ours.

Must be very sad. I remember when I was young and we lost all the elm trees in our town. Very depressing.

I just ordered some wood yesterday. When I asked for ash he just laughed. He said all the straight ash he could find was being bought up by somebody who's carting it down to Kentucky to make baseball bats. They don't have much left down there. Don't know if that's true, but I always tell folks if the grain looks just like a baseball bat, it's ash. What will I tell them in ten years?

Anyway, sorry for your loss.

I too remember when the elm started dieing off. Well, we still have elm but they don't usually grow very big before still dieing.

Ash does make good ball bats. As for firewood, there are millions of ash trees that are just going to fall over sooner or later and just go to waste as far as man's use of it. Not here though. We'll keep cutting firewood.

I'm also interested to see what happens to our young ash tree's. I have countless tree's growing that are in the 6'-10' tall range with a small diameter that seem unfazed currently. I'm sure the borer will get around to killing them at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.