1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Made a video of my pellet stove Install

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by doublewide, Feb 7, 2013.

1. doublewide

doublewide Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I couldn't find a whole lot on youtube, so I made my own. Let me know what you think.

VIBErator, Eatonpcat, 343amc and 8 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    X2
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Nice videos!

Just curious, you ARE putting a GOOD quality surge protector on that stove, right?
  5. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Uh oh, Code cop just showed up. ==c

I was going to say garage install, But I figured I'd cut some slack since the vid was cool. Definitely need a good SP on it!
  6. smoke show

smoke show Guest

maybe he's got a whole house surge protector?
  7. jim3854

jim3854 Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    Awesome video. I wish I thought of putting my oak into the same thimble.
  8. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Wow. Maybe the guy just spent a lot of time making a vid to share with everyone :)

Great job doublewide. No time to enjoy, get right over to HD and get an SP ;)
  9. doublewide

doublewide Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I totally forgot about the surge protector. I have one on my other stove, it just never crossed my mind. Someone on this forum gave me the idea to make the OAK and the thimble as one, they even posted a picture of theirs. I called the township about my garage install and because the garage is detached the pellet stove is no problem. They also said they would not inspect it because they do not need to??? Works for me, but I still want mine to be up to code. I'm probably going to add the bracket to the wall on the inside just to help support everything and run a few screws into the appliance adapter. Happy you liked the videos, I hope it can help people out for now and in the future. Thanks Doublewide
  10. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    There is no doubt this will help someone. I have it bookmarked. Got a co-worker looking for a stove. This vid will show him just how easy it really is. Nice work.

You'll get a lot of hits with it too! ;)
  11. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    For sure. I wish I could have found a vid on going through to the roof. Sure would have sped things up!
  12. smoke show

smoke show Guest

doublewide can you install another one with vertical thru the roof? :p ;lol
    Eatonpcat, mralias and Mr. Spock like this.
  13. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Yes. Start from the basement. That is where my next stove will be :p
    smoke show likes this.
  14. turbosporsche

turbosporsche Member

Loc:
    Shelton,ct
    Good job. Video was short and to the point some people tend to have what I call diarrhea of the mouth and can't shut up.
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Very nice..... Honestly. Well done double wide.

Waiting for some good burn vids.
    Brokenwing likes this.
  16. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    Very good video loved it. Although i was waiting for the pellet pour and the fire at the end
    Brokenwing likes this.
  17. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    Great video!!!!
  18. doublewide

doublewide Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks again for all the comments it was a fun project here she is burning. Now that some of us have over 20" of snow outside you can sit back and my 3 part feature presentation. Thanks Again. Doublewide
    Mr. Spock, smoke show and Brokenwing like this.
  19. doublewide

doublewide Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I noticed the glass gets dirty really fast. There is an airwash built into the stove, but I don't know if the air gap is at the bottom of the door or at the bottom of the window. Pellets are Powerhouse, there is a lot of ash with this pellet but clean looking flame. What should I adjust or reseal? Thanks
  20. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    Just curious, I quit using powehouse cause of clinkers, and when I opened up the bag it smelled like freshly glued plywood. Awful smell. So I will be curious to watch this thread. They were good pellets when it came to the heat, but I just did not like the chemical smell. My glass on the stove got really dirty as well. By the way awesome videos!
  21. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    WOW awesome... where were you a few years ago. I really like how you did the outside. Looks awesome.

One question for everyone here though..When I got my stoves and asked about the OAK's, I was told it should not be above the stove. I really like the way you hooked that up. Is there a plus or negative for an oak to be installed above or below the stove?

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/PU-OAK_Info.pdf
  22. doublewide

doublewide Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I'm happy you liked the video and my handywork. My manual said have the OAK 12" away from the termination. I put it above the stove because I did not want 2 holes in my wall. I know they sell thimbles with the OAK hole in them, but I don't know where to get them from there was one on ebay for $60. I got my delivered for $33. The OAK is not getting any hot air what so ever in fact it is cold as hell. I guess you need to make sure the OAK is not sucking exhaust gasses, but more and more I'm hearing of people trying to heat their OAK air in some way. Maybe someone else will chime in on this for you.
  23. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    With the OAK being lower than the stove it assists drafting and removing the smoke if the power goes out.
  24. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Ok, so is there a +/- for having it run like doublewide did in the video as far as the more or less air goes for proper burn..etc..
  25. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Plus is only one hole in the house.

Minus would be there is a chance for smoke in the house.

I am sure there are more that could be added. I'm not awake yet! :p