Made deposit on Woodstock stove today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'm locked in at the sale price until the end of April. Now all we need to do is take a ride up there and pick out our stove. We still haven't decided on which one. We like the look of the Keystone, but I want the BTUs of the Fireview. I fugure it will be easy to make a decision when we see them both side by side. I wonder if the lower output will be OK in my 1400 sqft house? I'd hate to be underpowered after spending the money and time to upgrade.

Tanke a good look at the Fireview. Look at the difference in cleaning the cat and the burn times. You can't go wrond with a Woodstock.

I looked at the instructions online and the Fireview looks like it is the easier one to deal with for sure. We just prefer the cleaner and less ornate styling of the Keystone.

For the size you are heating I'd go with the Fireview for sure. I don't recall off hand the size of the firebox in the Keystone but I'm thinking it is quite a bit smaller. That will mean you won't get a very long burn time, especially compared to the Fireview or Classic.

It is good that you are going to the factory though. You can compare and ask questions of the pros.

I all most went with the Keystone over the Fireview cuz like you I also liked the looks of the Keystone a little better, but after talking with Woodstock and people here I decided on the Fireview and glad I did. I have found the extra capacity a bonus for the coldest winter days as well as the spring/fall days. You get the extra BTU's and longer burns.

Just to brag a bit, I loaded up the stove with a full load of Black Locust last night at 9 pm, got up in the morning about 8 am, the stove was still around 250 with plenty of coals. I decided to just let it go since it was sunny outside and I get good solar gain to heat the house this time of year. At 4pm I decided to start a fire since it's suppose to drop down into the teens, so I opened the stove door and there was still enough coals to just throw some small stuff in there and take off again. This stove rocks, 19 hour burn time, almost a record for me.

2006-2007 The Year of the PE Summit

2007-2008 The Year of the Englander 30-NC

2008-2009 The Year of the Woodstock Fireview.

:lol:

BrotherBart said:

Any predictions for next year?

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

The way prices are still going down I am betting on oil burners and natural gas for next year. Neither of which I have.

Time to go whack some more trees I guess. May be the first time in my life that I think I am paying too much for heat by burning wood. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

The way prices are still going down I am betting on oil burners and natural gas for next year. Neither of which I have.

Time to go whack some more trees I guess. May be the first time in my life that I think I am paying too much for heat by burning wood. :ahhh:

Nah, I predict oil and gas will go ski high again next fall if Obama has his way with the cap and trade on carbon that he wants in his budget. Wood is still a better deal than gas or oil around here since you can pay $150 per cord for Oak or scrounge for free.

If Woodstock comes out with their hybrid, I think they will make stove of the year back to back.

Todd said:
If Woodstock comes out with their hybrid, I think they will make stove of the year back to back.

I am holding out for a Hearthstone Mansfield on clearance because they aren't eligible for a tax credit. I don't need the tax credit.

Todd said:
Todd,
This is the first I've heard of this, can you elaborate?

Wet1 said:
Todd said:
Todd,
This is the first I've heard of this, can you elaborate?

Sure,
Woodstock is currently testing a cat/non cat hybrid to squeeze out even more efficiency. They won't give up the details but it has something to do with some kind of secondary combustion inside the firebox and will also be available to retrofit older model Fireviews. Testing has been very promising, and could be ready by next season. I talked to 4 different people there and two didn't seem to either know much about it or didn't want to elaborate. The other two seemed to tell me everything they knew about it and seemed pretty excited about it. We will have to wait and see.

I own a Keystone and I love it. I don't think the Fireview is "easier" to use, but the Keystone firebox is small, about 1.5 cubes, Fireview is around 2. As much as I love my Keystone, for 1400' in your climate, I'd go with the Fireview. I've gone 18 hours and still had enough coals to relight. If you filled it with black locust like Todd says, heck, you'd have coals around Memorial Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.