Made in USA ToolSets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandor

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Deltaville,VA
Tired of the made in China, fall apart and bendable toolsets.

Anyone aware of a Made in the U.S.A toolset that includes a poker, shovel, and rake suitable for a woodstove?

Not looking for bling, just a simple and attractive set that will last a lifetime.

I'll settle for one made in Europe.

made in the usahttp://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=11374

No Go to Smithsonian.

Sandor said:
No Go to Smithsonian.
can you drop a link couldnt find any on there

I bought a compact wood stove set made by Pilgrim from someone on eBay. I like it a lot. I don't really use the broom though. There was a Made in USA sticker on my stand. But, I read somewhere on this forum that they are being made in China now.

Below is a link from the place I bought mine. This guy has raised the price since I bought from him. I paid about $80.00 for mine, plus I had a 10% off Paypal coupon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Wood-St...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

From this guys description, it appears that this set is Made in the USA.

Yard Sales? I have a pretty nice one here somewhere. Average US quality from ~50 years ago.

Look at the link elsewhere in this thread. Hammered steel, only $229.00. Yikes!

smokinj said:
Sandor said:
No Go to Smithsonian.
can you drop a link couldnt find any on there

I went over to the Smithsonian Store also... I searched for 'hearth', 'fireplace', and 'tools' and the closest thing I found was miniature dollhouse hearth sets.

I'd google: "made in usa fireplace tools"

I'd also stay away from any that come with a free 3 pieece set of white birch logs.
I've seen some that were obviously for decorative purposes only.

I'm cheap.
I use a length of rebar and a coffee can.

I do have a real old set of wrought irons from Mom and Dad's garage from thier old fireplace, but they are in the garage.
The dog's tail kept knocking them over.

Try the following:

http://www.plowhearth.com

Note: In the past year Plow & Hearth offered Hearth.com members a fine discount. They also provide excellent customer service.

Note, fireplacetray has been noticed by the mods, no need to file spam reports :coolhmm: ...

Gooserider

Webmaster said:
Some Pilgrim sets are made here, some in China. You can probably find out which ones from dealers or them...or on their site.

Just curious. Do you know if they still are making any sets here in the USA or are these just surplus now? Mine had made in USA on it somewhere. I just looked at my set and nowhere does it have where it was made. It must have been on the packaging.

It would seem that making them here in the US would be a big selling point. I guess not. I don't mind buying some foreign made stuff, but I think US steel is usually superior to the foreign stuff-especially China.

They do maintain a factory in California and make a number of products here - to my knowledge.

The stuff they make overseas.....though....is pretty good, as it is made to their designs and specs. They used to be 100% made here...right in California Bay Area. But the market has changed and many of the large companies....like catalogs, demand the goods at a lower price. Not lower quality, but a lower price. It's tough to do that in the USA and still offer all the middlemen the high profits they are looking for.

I have always sold (in my old shop) and used Pilgrim stuff - and it was always well made and lasted. I think that will hold true for the stuff made here or there.

Status
Not open for further replies.