Made my decision but still acouple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye316

Dec 8, 2007
Amsterdam, ny
I have a 1900 sq ft 2 story house. Just built last year. I am buying a Enviro Omega this month to put in my living room. It states it covers 2500 sqft. I have acouple questions before i make the final leap. I live up state near Amsterdam, NY.

1. Will it be too hot in the living room?
2. Will it effect any electronics or leather furniture in the living room?
3. What are the chances it heats the whole house?
4. If it just heats the first floor will it still save me money in the long run?
5. Will I need to get a humidifier?
6. Should i install insulation to my cellar ceiling.

2 story?
is the stove on the first floor so the heat rises? Then I say it will more than heat your home unless you have BAD windows and no Insulation.

I have been running my stove at the 3rd setting with a thermo stat on the OFF and ON mode.
the temps have finnaly started to get down to around 20 deg and night.
Still running the stove at 3 and the stove still in not running 24 hours it starts and stops a few times a night.
stat set at 74 in the living room.
1900 Sq feet LONG one story ranch style home.

Because the stove is convection air I dont think it will dry out as much as a Wood stove
but I would run some kind of humidifier.
For the kids we run the small Vics humidifiers in our bed room and kids room.

I sure you have made a good choice. The self cleaning burn pot ROCKS!
With the bad pellets we have been getting lately most pellet stoves you can only run 2 to 4 bags of pellets and you have to clean out the burn pot. I have not opened my door of the stove after 20 bags.
And im using OFF and ON mode that builds up even more clinkers with the off and on cycle.

Cannot stress the importance of maintaining humidity levels in your house.
I live in a 1600 sft house and I run 2 big Honeywell humidifiers (the whole house ones) one on each floor. I am able to maintain between 30 and 50 % humidity levels at between 68 and 75 F degress throughout my house.
Humidty is important not only in the comfort levels (nothing worse than waking up on cold mornings with dry boogers and sore throats) but the ablility of the air to hold heat. The drier the air the colder the air and vice versa.
Any device that heats air also tends to dry it. So even if you use electric heat..you can have low humidity issues.
Keep the air humid and you will be more comfortable and warmer.
My 2 cents for what its worth.

deadeye316 said:
it was a easy decision one month oil bill $420. The omega burns corn, grass wheat, wood. all covered so i cant wait

Easy decision here also, Deadeye. I live about 45 mins from you and I just got a month's worth (if it's not terribly cold!) for 493. Yikes. 3.29/gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.