Made room for a wood shed... and got some wood too!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
Well I finally got around to taking down some of my dead and leaning pines to make room for a wood shed. I borrowed a skid steer with a grapple on the front bucket which made life real easy. I plan on going 20x10 but putting in another footing to extend the front header to make a swing set for my daughter that can double as a future 30x10 shed. I want to keep it simple. Any ideas or suggestions before I start.

Attachments

• DSC02667.jpg
    DSC02667.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 422
Here is a picture of some Sass I recently split from a a blow down I had this winter.

Attachments

• DSC02668.jpg
    DSC02668.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 421
I love the spin on those extra footers. My wife would see right through that one. If I had the room, my shed would be accessible from both sides to make it easier to rotate the stock.

if going with asphalt roofing, make it white & paint with outdoor latex in due time as needed. any roof should be white or light colored. black radiates heat better than white

I like S&W's idea, and have one of my own that I borrowed from others here. :cheese: However big you think it needs to be, make it bigger. Doesn't need to be a warehouse, but you'll lose a little inside space by the time it's all built. I use just under 5 cord/yr., and built my shed to hold about 7 cord. It'll hold pretty close to that, and next year, I won't have to load it so much since I'll have leftovers. (I hope)
I love the smell of Sassafras!
C/S/S all that pine for next winter. If you do it now, it might even be ready this year.
Edit: ignore that last bit, since that's in your title.
Where's the forehead slap smiley? Or the DOH!?

I plan to leave all sides open and go with some cheap metal roofing. As far as the size... I agree it can never be big enough. I know what ever is not filled with wood will be filled with something else. Thanks and keep the ideas coming!
BTW I say 20x10 but i really mean 20x12 as I plan to have a 12" overhang front and back!

Just remember that if using 12' 2x for the roof, they won't extend 12". They'll end up being 10-11", and if you plumb cut the tails, a little shorter.
If that's ok, you're good to go.
Might want to reconsider at least putting siding on the prevailing wind exposure.

It doesn't snow in NJ, no need.

Advice via 20-20 hindsight... Price out the biggest roof you can afford and build the shed that size. That's both the most important part and the most expensive one. The rest of the shed (posts, siding, cement, fasteners, stain etc.) won't cost that much extra on a bigger shed. I built an 8' by 12' shed this spring. I could have doubled the size for an extra 50% cash and some more careful planning. Wish I had thought it through better.

Status
Not open for further replies.