made some fire starters today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I've done it the last couple of years, and can never remember what works and what doesn't. So my half azzed how to:
Materials: old candle, saw dust. I've tried dryer lint, but it's harder to break when dry, and ends up with hair in it. Gross.

Wax is super messy, and super hard to remove. Keep that in mind when assembling your cooking implements.

I used an aluminum pie plate to melt the wax. I found that it works fine over low/medium low heat, although most apparently use a double boiler.

Cover a baking sheet with foil. Cover it completely. Tape the seams (remember the part about messy wax).

Spread a layer of sawdust on the pan. Thin layer (maybe 1/2") works best. That way you can break off chunks when you're done. Much easier than trying to cut them, which sucks.

Pour molten wax over sawdust. The ratio is the toughest part. You want all the sawdust to be covered, but no more than that. It's tough to get everything evenly coated; I mix the wax into the dust by hand, kneading it like dough. Gloves help here.

Smoosh the mixture tightly into the baking sheet. Pack it tight all along the edges as well
. This keeps it from becoming a crumbly mess.

Let it dry. Put it into the freezer if you're impatient.

When dry, break it into pieces. I get about a gallon bag full from a large cookie sheet, a gallon bag of sawdust, and a 4" tall round candle. That's a lot of fire starters.

Should have taken pics, maybe next year.
Total time, 30-60 minutes, total cost $0.75 for the candle. I stole the disposable pie plate from my wife. Plus the cost of the foil and tape.

I can at least post a pic of the finished product...

tmp_5402-IMG_20161121_075348-1190871477.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a lot of wilderness survival stuff and have yet to find a firestarter that works as well as vaseline soaked cotton balls but I haven't used any of them in the wood stove. I don't like burning anything but wood and paper in there. I am sure yours are less messy but the cotton balls will light from a ferrocium rod. Of course that has no value in a wood stove. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: zenoparadox
Wax is super messy, and super hard to remove.
That's what a homemade double boiler is for besides safety. Just use a soup can or similar in a pot of water on the stove. It can never get above 212F. Paraffin can flash over without that water buffer.

I love DIY solutions like this, but I like Super Cedars even more;)

Looks like you have an exterior chimney, no?
Be sure to prime the flu first .
I use a garden torch refill cannister from the local bldg supply - $5.
Lasts for many starts.
It will help alot
upload_2016-11-21_20-32-14.png

Last edited:
The super cedars are great, but they cost more than $0.75. And these work just as well.
I'm not discouraging your project, but just to be clear, Super Cedars only cost $.17 per start with our wholesale discount. No one uses a whole SC disc. Most of us use only 1/4 which is plenty. Actually, I use maybe 1/6 of a disc.

Whatever works best for you is great. Just be safe ;).

Family project: Priceless.

Last edited:
Darn it ... I really would like a cookie right about now. Thanks a lot guys! :)

Use cardboard egg cartons. No mess breaking them apart.

Hey Mike, you're the one that brought up chocolate chips! The mere mention of chocolate chip cookies is bound to redirect any thread...;lol

All in fun... (but don't kill yourself making the cookies like I might...)

One thing better than chocolate chip cookies...chocolate chip cookie cheesecake. Just saying... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.