Made Some Simple Changes that Should Improve Heat Output on PDVC 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowercat

Dec 27, 2008
East
As a novice pellet stove user I am learning something new each year. I learned a few simple ways to improve my pellet stove (PDVC 25) and heat output thru this forum and the vendor. I had the baffle plate in the wrong location. My dumb mistake. Other models from the manufacturer have the baffle plat leaning above the door of the stove. For my model this isn't correct. I moved the baffle plate to be flush above the burn pot with some room between the wall and the plate and the amount of heat output seems to have improved quite a bit. I also had the room air fan cleaned as I hadn't been doing this during the yearly maintenance. After a few years it really needed cleaning. I don't know if the cleaning did improve the amount of fan output but it at least prevented a possible future issue as it needed cleaning badly. I haven't done this yet, however, I am going to clean the walls of the inside of the stove of the ash. This is supposed to improve radiant heat within the stove and produce more heat.

You mentioned "room between the wall and plate" can you explain? I thought that greater heat output resulted from having the baffle plate as tight as possible to the wall of the firebox. Maybe mine is wrong? I'm always looking for ways to get more heat out of my little 25 PDVC.

My baffle plate does not fit snug to the back wall, there is probably a quarter inch of so play in it. Came that way.

sydney1963 said:
My baffle plate does not fit snug to the back wall, there is probably a quarter inch of so play in it. Came that way.

Mine did too, I thought I read on here a while ago if you take a hammer and punch to the retaining tabs you can tighten up the fit. Mine is very snug now, hope I read it correctly and did the right thing.

BJN644 said:
sydney1963 said:

Mine did too, I thought I read on here a while ago if you take a hammer and punch to the retaining tabs you can tighten up the fit. Mine is very snug now, hope I read it correctly and did the right thing.

With it fitting snug, can you still remove it to clean in behind? I get a lot of heat out of my stove so I never even considered tightening the baffle plate. Just wondering. Maybe I'll make a call to the company and ask. I'll let you know what they tell me.

sydney1963 said:
BJN644 said:
sydney1963 said:

With it fitting snug, can you still remove it to clean in behind? I get a lot of heat out of my stove so I never even considered tightening the baffle plate. Just wondering. Maybe I'll make a call to the company and ask. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Yes, I still can clean behind it, just have to kind of wiggle it out after the tune up with the hammer. I would be interested in what the company says. I have never been happy with the heat output of mine, I also own a Harman P43 that is rated for 1400 sq ft which is less than the 25 PDVC, and I swear that Harman throws twice as much heat. The Englander is heating 750 sq ft of open shop area with a cement floor and the Harman is in the house maybe that's the difference?

My understnding is they want some room between the plate and the wall. The vent behind it takes air out so that has to be some air flow from what I understand. If you want an offical answer I waould email or call the vendor. There have been some forum discussions on this I will look up the discussions I read earlier in the week.

My stove heats the whole house and normally without running on the high settings. Like many stoves this stove in my oppinion works much better with a quality pellet. I used some of the cheaper brands and the heat output was limited and it needed cleaning much more often. With a good quality pellet that uses wood like oak I have had no issues. The change I made even made the stove work better.

BJN644 said:
sydney1963 said:
BJN644 said:
sydney1963 said:

Yes, I still can clean behind it, just have to kind of wiggle it out after the tune up with the hammer. I would be interested in what the company says. I have never been happy with the heat output of mine, I also own a Harman P43 that is rated for 1400 sq ft which is less than the 25 PDVC, and I swear that Harman throws twice as much heat. The Englander is heating 750 sq ft of open shop area with a cement floor and the Harman is in the house maybe that's the difference?

I have to believe that the cement floor makes a lot of difference in those two situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.