Madison - Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longsnowsm

Oct 11, 2014
Missouri Ozarks
I have been looking for users of the Englander Madison stoves to post some burn times to let us know how the new burn system works and if they are able to get the long slow burns from it. I have been using the search function to see what you folks are seeing but I haven't found much. Those of you who own the Madison stoves, what are you seeing for the burn times? Are you able to do the long slow burns with the new burn system? Tell us what your seeing!?! :)

The Madison hasn't been around very long, yet. I know that there are a few early adopters, but really not a lot of info on them from seasoned users. Be patient, I am sure someone will speak up.

With so many variables affecting burn time you would have to go by averages. The Madison is not going to burn low and slow like a catalytic stove. It is a secondary tube stove. The AAS is more of a start device that delivers extra air on startup. It's not a temp regulator like a thermostat. Figure the Madison will burn for roughly 7.5 to 10 hrs depending on the wood, outside conditions, air control setting, etc..

Can't say yet, but, I am planning to rig a crazy thermocouple/microcontroller wireless gadget together to monitor burn stats sometime Nov so we'll have more info then.

Fwiw, the manual claims a max of 35lb firewood, but the dimensions are 18" wide max by around 16" deep (17" from rear firebrick to glass) and I'll have to get back to you on height. Closing primary down does close it way down besides the doghouse air.

I was getting between 6 & 7 hours good heat. With plenty of coals for a reload at 9 to 10 hours. But i was only burning about 3/4 loads at most. Still learning the Madison and last winter was my first time with an EPA stove. So i had a little trouble. But i think (with the help from the guys here) I've got it straightened out. Its 86* outside so it will probably be 2 or 3 more weeks before i light a fire. I believe member RopeS said last year he was able to reload on coals up to 14 hours.

Burn time is a very ambiguous term that means different things to different folks. Marketing likes to use the number from start to just enough coals for a relight. I prefer a more conservative estimate of the time from when the stove starts producing meaningful heat to when it no longer does. That seems to align better with people's expectations.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Status
Not open for further replies.