Madison in my burn trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
never found much need for an ash pan, I shovel out the door old school style, if I out one in i'd probably brick over the opening anyway

I was never a fan of the plug style ash dump until I tried one out in my house. In fact I wasn't a huge fan of ash pans at all, simply because of the stupid grates in the bottom of most stoves! After using one with a plug, I'm hooked! It's very easy to use and makes for a nearly dust free cleaning.
The messiest stove I've ever used was the Cape Cod! Then the Oslo is a close second. Cleanest to date have been my Blaze Kings. :cool:

I was never a fan of the plug style ash dump until I tried one out in my house. In fact I wasn't a huge fan of ash pans at all, simply because of the stupid grates in the bottom of most stoves! After using one with a plug, I'm hooked! It's very easy to use and makes for a nearly dust free cleaning.
The messiest stove I've ever used was the Cape Cod! Then the Oslo is a close second. Cleanest to date have been my Blaze Kings. :cool:

So you use the BK plug system then? Do you ever fill up the tiny pan while ash is still in the chute? Or can you see it filling and stop for a dump break?

So you use the BK plug system then? Do you ever fill up the tiny pan while ash is still in the chute? Or can you see it filling and stop for a dump break?
You can easily see how much is in the pan without over filling the chute. And it aint all that tiny, its bigger every other pan I've used!

Reactions: Highbeam
I don't think it was a tease, I think it was a premature proclamation.

I think it should less euphemistically be called spam.

How is the Englander smart stove different from the smart stove system Dan makes?

Thanks mellow. I understand now. I thought that was just one aspect of the new stove. I see now that is the concept. I thought it was fully automatic like the one Dan does. It's more mechanical then similar to bi metalic dampers. Sounds interesting.

Its a cool stove, but those hinges............ Ugh

(Continuation from: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...change-out-program.128928/page-3#post-1742148
To not derail the other thread even more, I will answer here.)

Thanks for the manual. I was curious about its dimensions and clearances. One question: For double wall installation it says N/A for the clearances; does that mean it is the same as single wall? I could think if some different interpretations. If my guess is correct how about putting in the table "Single and Double Wall Chimney Connector Unprotected..." and skip the separate double wall rows?

you know , I saw that and im not sure myself, im thinking that since the stove cannot be moved closer to an unprotected surface even with double wall pipe its moot, and I think the chart has to be "laid out" that way due to regulations but that's a guess on my part so yeah the clearances will be the same for the stove regardless of the pipe used would be my read, the stove also comes stock with the heat shields installed though I think the manual lists them as optional was a decision made after the manual was certified so it has to stay until the first revision of the manual is done.

i'll chat with Brandon down in the lab tomorrow if I can catch him and get a clarification, I have to babysit the phones for a few hours tomorrow afternoon so if I can get an answer i'll post it from my desk

you know , I saw that and im not sure myself, im thinking that since the stove cannot be moved closer to an unprotected surface even with double wall pipe its moot, and I think the chart has to be "laid out" that way due to regulations but that's a guess on my part so yeah the clearances will be the same for the stove regardless of the pipe used would be my read, the stove also comes stock with the heat shields installed though I think the manual lists them as optional was a decision made after the manual was certified so it has to stay until the first revision of the manual is done.

i'll chat with Brandon down in the lab tomorrow if I can catch him and get a clarification, I have to babysit the phones for a few hours tomorrow afternoon so if I can get an answer i'll post it from my desk

Thanks for looking into it. If the chart has to be published that way, I would do away with the N/A and just print the numbers again. The N/A is kind of a headscratcher while the numbers should be pretty clear.

Reactions: DanCorcoran
Since its been a couple months since you put it in the burn trailer. Are you still impressed with it? Im thinking seriously about buying one this weekend. But i am a little leery because its new and no reviews yet. I know the englanders get really great reviews. Thanks

Still not on their website. Have you seen one for sale?

Ive been waiting all summer to see one. So i emailed englander and they said only sutherlands has them right now. I called the local sutherlands and the guy in the wood stove deparment said they had 2. $899 before taxs. Planing on going this weekend and looking in person. Englander said later home depot and lowes would get em. But didnt say how much later.

I would love to swap out my NC-30 for one of these babies. Anyone in Utah looking for a gently used 30?

Why? Do you need a smaller stove?

Why? Do you need a smaller stove?

The 30 is a little big too big for the space I'm heating, plus I'm interested in the new primary air control, I can think of several instances where it would be really nice to have that sort of feature. I really want to replace my 30 with and Ideal Steel, but that isn't in the cards budget wise this year.

Stay tuned, they should be showing up in your neighborhood soon.

I've had a Madison for a few weeks now, but so far it's not even close to being installed. But.. if anyone needs pics/dimensions, etc, I can try to get them in a timely manner. It looks like a great, well built stove, and I can't wait to get it hooked up and doing what it's supposed to do.

Videos are rather large in size. You should video it on a camera with a sd card put the sd in your computer add the video to a youtube account that you have created then put the link to the youtube video on this forum.

Could you provide feedback regarding Madison's availability, ESW website info, etc.? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.