Madrone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk

May 13, 2013
Skagit County, WA
I received around a cord of Madrone for free, I've never burned it before and from what I've read it sounds like awesome firewood. My question is this - How long does it take to dry?

I have it sitting in my pile for the 2015-2016 winter and started wondering about if it would be ready by then. It's been down about 2 months but only split and stacked around 2 weeks now. Funny how I find myself excited to try different types of firewood.

Anyone with Madrone experience?

Don't have it here but I'm guessing about like other dense woods, a couple years split and stacked, at least....maybe longer to get really good, there on the coast. Begreen has dried a bit of it there, I know....

Madrone is great firewood, and I've burned a fair amount. It seasons relatively quickly considering its density, kinda the opposite of oak in that regard... should be plenty ready for '15-16 if appropriately stacked.

It should be ok for 2015-2016. I try wait 2 yrs to burn madrone unless the splits are small. There's a cord of it stacked in the yard that we split last summer. Really dry madrone is a great fire wood.

Free madrone? Dang sign me up!

I always let my madrone dry for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.