Magic Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, you will find that the product is not recommended here.

Not a good thing for any stove, especially an EPA stove. EPA stoves have already been designed to "minimize" the waste heat going up the stack. Adding a MH to the system WILL produce unwanted results in the form of nasty, gooey, sticky, black stuff. Most know it as creosote - and thats baaadd!

Hint - add your stove to your sig line, so we know a little about your setup.

I used to see a lot of them back in the 70's. Every one was a creosote factory.

Just realize they are taking heat that would go up the chimney. Of course, that is their selling point. However, that chimney needs some heat or else the stove would not operate correctly. Most of the newer stoves allow just about the right amount of heat up the chimney. Take some of that heat away and you have creosote big time.

This question gets asked here from time to time and in the short time I've been here I can only recall one member who was a Magic Heat advocate . . . of course he also advocated some other rather questionable practices . . . and he is no longer here . . . so you can take that for what it's worth.

As Jags mentioned modern stoves are really designed right from the crate to maximize your heat in the house and minimize waste heat going up the chimney . . . adding the MH to the chimney tends to lower the temp too much in the chimney which can produce excessive creosote.

In my own opinion, save the money on the Magic Heat . . . and invest it in a nice hearth toy . . . like a moisture meter to make sure your wood is good and seasoned as this burning well seasoned wood will result in a lot more heat and happiness than a Magic Heater ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.