Magnetic Stove Top/ Stove Pipe Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Got a couple Thermometers for Christmas. One for the stove top and one for the stove pipe.

Problem is they keep sticking , or getting themselves in a bind somehow and not reading correctly.

Anyone else seen or have this problem. Or know of a fix?

They were from Northern supply onsale for around $11 made by SBI.

I had a Rutland from Tractor Supply... took it back after a week!

they are all garbage as far as I am concerned. most review on amazon confirm the same.

most places I read they are useless anyway, just watch the fire to see if it's burning effectively.
http://woodheat.org/thermometers.html

they keep sticking , or getting themselves in a bind somehow and not reading correctly.
My BIL's Rutland stove top appears to be rubbing on the center-most edge of where the marker comes through the dial. I was thinking that I could hold the bottom of the marker, where it meets the spring, with a needle-nose pliers, then bend the rest of the arrow out a little bit....
they are all garbage as far as I am concerned. most review on amazon confirm the same.
most places I read they are useless anyway, just watch the fire to see if it's burning effectively.
Sure, you can watch the fire and do OK like that. With the surface meter on the pipe, though, I know that if I hold 'x' temp for 'y' amount of time, the cat is going to light off well every time, regardless of the manufacturer's recommendation for the required stove top temp. Stove top meters are useful for warning the operator that the stove may be getting close to an over-fire condition. I have also found most of my meters to be fairly accurate when checked with the infrared thermo.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Condar seems to be the most reliable from the reports I have seen. About using them? Well...I have been doing this for quite a while and I still can't look at a firebox and tell you if the stove top is at 600F or 700F. It is tough to get a feel for stack temp also.
In the honor of being able to reproduce a very controlled fire EVERY time, I use them. Stack temp up to 800F (internal), stove top to 550F and shut-er down for the long haul. You could drive without a speedometer and gas gauge, but most people like those "options".

Reactions: Huntindog1 and hack
Condar seems to be the most reliable from the reports I have seen. About using them? Well...I have been doing this for quite a while and I still can't look at a firebox and tell you if the stove top is at 600F or 700F. It is tough to get a feel for stack temp also.
In the honor of being able to reproduce a very controlled fire EVERY time, I use them. Stack temp up to 800F (internal), stove top to 550F and shut-er down for the long haul. You could drive without a speedometer and gas gauge, but most people like those "options".
Like the analogy of driving:)

Reactions: n3pro
Reactions: Jags
Iv been useing Rutland and a fox I think it is they help me a lot I got me the condar probe for the stack and the inferno for the stove top on oreder should be here by end of next week. I will never burn with out them.

Mine kept sticking too. When it gets hot, the heat expands it enough to cause it to stick, so just tweak it a bit with needle nose pliers and all is well.

Reactions: Huntindog1
With the magnetic thermometers, it is also a good idea to have a IR gun to get a more accurate temperature reading. If you find the magnetic ones to be, say, 50 degrees off, then you can make the adjustments and live with it.

We too had rutlands and found them not reliable but have condars and both are into their 7th year and doing just fine.

Keep in mind that IR guns may not be accurate. I bought a pocket one for myself for the fireplace for Christmas and it was garbage. Readings were way off my good IR gun. Going back to the store next week.

My condo is off by about 50 degrees until it gets above 500 ....it then seems to be a lot closer say 15 degrees or so...checked with greener I.r. gun

Status
Not open for further replies.