Magnetic Themometer Falls Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
The best place for placing the mechanical magnetically attached stove thermometer on my (new) Quadrafire 4100I Insert is on the flat area above the door. The thermometer just fits there, below the top and hot air exit ports and the top of the closed door. I also get reading in the 400 to 600 degrees when the Insert is running well, so I think it is a good spot too.

Unfortunately, when I open the door the thermometer sometimes slides down blocking the closing of the door. Any similar experience or recommendations...do I have a defective (magnet) thermometer? I have used a similar thermometer for many years on a slammer and never had a problem with the unit falling off, but then too it was above a trim molding that prevented it from sliding down.

Well if your thermometer is like mine it has a hole in the center so you could drill a hole in the stove and screw it.

A possible explanation is that when you open the door, the section of the stove where the thermometer is gets overheated and reaches the Curie point, at which most iron-based alloys lose their ferromagnetic ability, thus the thermometer is no longer magnetically attracted to the stove.
This point is close to 768°C or 1414 °F for most steels and cast iron.

This is very unlikely for a wood-burning stove, but perhaps you somehow managed to get there.

Cheers!

Thanks, the thermometer is reading under 800 degrees, mostly around 500 degrees. It does seem to be temperature sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.