magnetic thermometer on double wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craigvalk

Dec 4, 2005
Hello All: Have a newly installed Russo stove, and am running double wall pipe connected to a stainless steel liner in my masonry chimney. I am an experienced woodburner, but this is a new install in this house.
I have always used a magnetic thermometer on single wall pipe in my last house, but I am wondering how effective or accurate this would be on double wall, given the airspace between the layers of pipe.
How do you guys with these setups measure stack temperature.. I have always lived by the thermometer in the past, and while my stove seems to run fine, I like to be sure I have it set hot enough to avoid creosote build up.

Thanks in advance.

If you can place the Thermo on the stove surface the double wall pipe will not record the stack temps.

Btw Russo is out of business but parts can still be bought. If you plan on keeping the stove for a while get the parts like blowers ect that wear out. Even now parts support is limited and dwindling
http://fireplaceseast.com/06_wood_coal_stoves.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.