Magnetic thermomoters and their accuracy or lack thereof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
On my insert I can place it on top of the 5/16 steel top, which I believe is the best location. Anyway, I did the oven test and it came out 150F below what it should have read.. Okay, so I tapped and rapped the spring coil and tried again, and this time the test was bang on. Which means on the second test it was oven=400 and stove top =400.. This therm is a Imperial (kel kem) any one else use one of these?

Not really a big deal, kinda got the handle on my new insert anyway,, just wondering if anyone else finds these cheapies kinda, well lets say not that realiable.

I use mine just to know what range I am in. I got an Infrared Thermometer and determined the magnetic is close enough. You should pick up a magnetic one. It's a hoot taking temps on various surfaces (my favorite is pointing it at the better half and telling her how hot she is).

myzamboni said:
I use mine just to know what range I am in. I got an Infrared Thermometer and determined the magnetic is close enough. You should pick up a magnetic one. It's a hoot taking temps on various surfaces (my favorite is pointing it at the better half and telling her how hot she is).

Don`t you mean I should pickup a IR one?? It is the magnetic that needs some slapping and smacking from time-to-time..

The first year with the Ultima I had a standard Rutland magnetic thermometer, which fell off the pipe once too many times and the spring fell out. Last year I replaced it with a somewhat different Rutland thermometer, which came with a screw to attach it to the pipe. That thermometer always seemed to read quite low, but I didn't have a way to be sure. This year I bought another Rutland thermometer (same type as my first) for the new Napoleon, and so I threw it on also for comparison. In the pic you can see that the bottom (newest) thermometer reads about 20-25% higher. I think the lower one is closer to the true temp, but it would seem there can be quite a range on these things.

Attachments

• thermometers.jpg
    thermometers.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 441
sonnyinbc said:
myzamboni said:

Don`t you mean I should pickup a IR one?? It is the magnetic that needs some slapping and smacking from time-to-time..

Yep. Sorry, DTB (due to beer)

myzamboni said:
sonnyinbc said:
myzamboni said:

Yep. Sorry, DTB (due to beer)

And here I was thinking that maybe she had a steel plate in her head and you had stuck the magnetized thermometer to her that way. :) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.