1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Magnetic thermomoters and their accuracy or lack thereof?

Post in 'The Gear' started by RedRanger, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    On my insert I can place it on top of the 5/16 steel top, which I believe is the best location. Anyway, I did the oven test and it came out 150F below what it should have read.. Okay, so I tapped and rapped the spring coil and tried again, and this time the test was bang on. Which means on the second test it was oven=400 and stove top =400.. This therm is a Imperial (kel kem) any one else use one of these?

Not really a big deal, kinda got the handle on my new insert anyway,, just wondering if anyone else finds these cheapies kinda, well lets say not that realiable.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    I use mine just to know what range I am in. I got an Infrared Thermometer and determined the magnetic is close enough. You should pick up a magnetic one. It's a hoot taking temps on various surfaces (my favorite is pointing it at the better half and telling her how hot she is).
  3. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Don`t you mean I should pickup a IR one?? It is the magnetic that needs some slapping and smacking from time-to-time..
  4. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    The first year with the Ultima I had a standard Rutland magnetic thermometer, which fell off the pipe once too many times and the spring fell out. Last year I replaced it with a somewhat different Rutland thermometer, which came with a screw to attach it to the pipe. That thermometer always seemed to read quite low, but I didn't have a way to be sure. This year I bought another Rutland thermometer (same type as my first) for the new Napoleon, and so I threw it on also for comparison. In the pic you can see that the bottom (newest) thermometer reads about 20-25% higher. I think the lower one is closer to the true temp, but it would seem there can be quite a range on these things.

Attached Files:

5. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Yep. Sorry, DTB (due to beer)
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    And here I was thinking that maybe she had a steel plate in her head and you had stuck the magnetized thermometer to her that way. :) ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.