magnetic vehicle door sign stock source?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Long story short, I just lucked into acquisition of a 1989 or 90 (documents still on the way) F350 4x4 with 12,000 miles, an early (pre-turbo) IHC diesel V8, an 8000 lb winch, and an aluminum toolbox bed. It was an AirForce Halon fire rig, and then a local volunteer Fire Department's "utility" truck which saw great care and little wear and tear.

I am not allowed to display the original markings- and I understand completely why. At the same time, this seems like a vehicle that will someday be a prime candidate for restoration, and I'd rather carefully cover the markings than paint them over, remove them, or otherwise.

Anyone know whether or where I could get some blank red magnetic sheet stock like they use for commercial vehicles' signage?

Other suggestions welcome, too.

Thanks!

I would just check in with a local sign place and see if they have what you need.

Sounds like a score on that truck! Post some pictures (when the lettering is covered, of course).

Go to SignWarehouse.com - I order all my sign suppliies from them and they have different colors of magnet stock.

Might check w/ your sources, but I suspect they will insist that you paint over the markings or otherwise make them permanently illegible - I know that I would if I was in that position... I've also heard from various sources that long term use of magnetic signs is likely to cause rust and paint failure under them in any case, so it may not be a great approach... I used some of the stock to make campaign signs to stick on the GF's van when I was running for Planning Board a few years back (I lost badly) and the guy that I bought it from said to be careful not to leave the signs on for too long...

You might look into some kind of permanent vinyl or similar material as an alternative, but my own suspicion is that your simplest and best approach would be to take a bunch of record photos w/ a good camera, and then break out the paint sprayer...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.