Magnolia Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
Anybody ever burn this crud? I took down a few of them about 18" in diameter for the neighbor. Planned on burning next year. Seems like a good shoulder/mixing wood?

I cut a little of it from a guy's place that I work with a few months ago. It had a unique smell to it, almost sour smell to it. I'll have to see how it burns in a year or two!

Watch your mouth! That's my state tree! (S);). I have no idea how it burns, never burned it

You basically have a big weed for your state tree! Lol

Not sure you two are talking about the same tree. Magnolia from Mississippi grows up north? Magnolia that grows by me are smallish deciduous trees that don't get to 18" easily. They are slow growers and hard. Probably would burn OK. Are you thinking Tulip tree? That's a poplar I think.

Not sure you two are talking about the same tree. Magnolia from Mississippi grows up north? Magnolia that grows by me are smallish deciduous trees that don't get to 18" easily. They are slow growers and hard. Probably would burn OK. Are you thinking Tulip tree? That's a poplar I think.
Not sure about Missouri but here in the mid-Atlantic we have both. The southern magnolia grows well as far north as Philly and can get pretty massive. Saucer magnolias (aka tulip trees) are also magnolias but generally stay much smaller, maybe up to 25 feet. We used to have those in northern Ohio so I think they have a much larger range. I've trimmed both and the wood seemed pretty soft to me, so I never bothered to harvest them for firewood when there were better trees to be had. Not to say you can't do it, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort.

Reactions: jatoxico
My neighbor cut one down this past summer and I split up the big stuff. I've got no idea how well it burns yet, but in a year or two I'll find out...

Status
Not open for further replies.