Magnum 6500 Users Poll: How do you like your pellet furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Hey Folks,

I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get one of these. But first, I'm curious to hear from you Magnum folks out there and what your general impressionsof the unit are.

A few random questions as well:
1) Is the install REALLY as easy as the dealer says? How much can I expect to pay someone to do this?
2) Does the untit radiate heat directly? Dealer says it is practically cold to the touch in most areas. While I would not mind some extra heat in my basemet, I find that hard to believe.
3) Is the unit a corn furnace that burns wood pellets, or a wood pellet furnace that burns corn? If both corn and fuel are available, which would you choose?
4) Ebay listing, is this for real? http://cgi.ebay.com/MagnuM-6500-Cor...in_0?hash=item27ab3ae4a4&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

This unit is at $1,900 right now, with a 'buy it now' at $2,650. That's $500 savings if I bought it from a dealer and had it shipped (free shipping for ebay unit).

5) Will by duct work for LP forced air furnace handle the heat!

Any and all thought appreciated! Like I said, I am close to the purchase, and finding this unit is due in large part to this forum. So cheers!

Chris

I looked at the website a bit. What type of fuel are you going to burn? The company makes mention of a 7500 series stove that has a stirer in the firepot. The reason I ask what type of fuel you are planning to use is because a lot of people say you need a stirer in the firepot if you are planning on burning a lot of corn. This cuts down on big clinkers being formed. There has been some talk of this subject on this forum as well but I couldn't find the link. You might do some reading about burning corn at iburncorn.com. if you are going to be using mostly corn. I couldn't find any info on the company website regarding the 7500, but if it was me I'd call them and see how much more expensive it would be to get the bigger unit and what the differences between the 2 units are.

As far as your ducting questions you would need to get a HVAC company in to get you a quote on hooking it up. Each install is different and it also depends on your existing furnace as to what needs to be done. The work needs to be done by a licensed HVAC company or your warranty is toast. If you drill down into the info available on the company website you will find the instruction manual with all the install info you would need. I would get a firm quote on doing the work so you don't have any surprises on the cost. Shouldn't be that complicated to get a quote.

Is there room to get this unit to where the furnance is? Doorways, stairs and all that?

Looks like a nice unit so good luck with your decision. I like the company website and all the info that they put on it.

David

Hmmm...the more I learn about this beast the more I see it is a corn furnace. I talked to a dealer who has one in his shop; he burns only corn. I don't know much about burning corn, its availability, etc.. Many thanks for that link.

My home is about 1 year old. I had a single builder do the construction. He installed everything, and he's looking at the specs now. I'm guessing he is HVAC certified, but I'll ask him. The dealer SAYS the installation is straight forward (I only hope). I think my builder is an honest guy, but he wants to make some $$, too.

I've got a walkout basement which, so delivery should be fine.

Maynt hanks for your reply. Big help.

Chris

Have you looked at the St. Croix Revolution? Love mine. Truly multi -fuel, although all I've burned is pellets.

I don't think the 6500 is autostart. Unless they changed it. Not an issue in the middle of winter, But in spring and fall maybe?

I run my stove Auto/Off in spring and fall. High/Low in the cold.

But then again some people have no issue's with High/Low all heating season. Only shutdown to clean.

Just m 2
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.