Magnum Baby CountrySide-AC powered Control Panel - FS Wood pellet stove does not stay lit? Fixed!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jrsdws said:
Yes...manual mode with heat setting on 1. Press the auger trim button and adjust to your desired level: 5=high, 4=low, 1 (or no extra light)=normal.

When you adjust heat setting higher...or thermo calls for heat and stove ramps up this "extra light" will go out.

Thanks for the info I will try that when I go back with the new low limit switch.

DexterDay said:
CWR said:
I've been enjoying this thread! Even though I have no real issue with my stove, I think I will bring my burn pot into work and TIG the top row of holes. Can't see a downside to that.

SWNH, the burn pot sits in it's own sealed chamber. If the bottom of the pot had holes in it, the ask wouldn't fall to the ash pan, it would stay in that little chamber.

I agree that this is a nice stove to work on.....not the best design, but it works well for me. Keep the tips coming and Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Chan

Your stove will be like night and day once you do that to the burn pot.

My suggestion would be to use High Temp 3M tape on the "non fire side" of the pot (outside) and cover just 1 row 1st, then try the 2nd row later. Once you get it fine tuned, then tig weld it.

Your stove will no longer build up pellets in tue pot. My buddy (barnyard840x) can run his Baby for 2 weeks without touching it. Before he couldnt go 24 hours without emptying or stirring the pot.

More airflow = Better combustion. Your ash will be a much, much lighter color. The firebox will be grey instead of black and the damper will actually have to be used to some effect (depends how many holes get covered).

Or just buy the Cast Pellet Pot. My buddy intends to do that soon.

Let us know how much better the burn is CWR. And like I said, do something less permanent 1st to test. High temp tape worked well for him. For over 2 weeks before we welded. Just to make sure.

Dexter...well, 24 hours burning with the top two rows of holes plugged and I can see a huge difference. The flame is a bit more active but the amount of ash in the burn pot has dramatically dropped. I'm firing up the TIG welder next week for sure. I'm going to do a little metal straightening on the flanges of the burn pot while I'm at it. I may add some stainless to the open corners.

Thanks for the tip...I always thought mine burned well...until I did the mod.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Chan

Hello

Well, I put the Low Limit switch in and wow, it runs great!

The foil with holes on the air wash and new ash pan gasket really makes the flame lively and a few sparks fly!! After it was on Level 3 for a few mins the temp read 204 Degrees F coming out of the heat tubes!! My friend is very happy now!!

Thanks everyone. Happy New Year!!

Great news Don! I finally bent to the pressure and welded up the top two rows of holes in my burn pot. It made a big difference in the amount of ash that builds up in the pot. Happy New Year to you too!

Chan

CWR said:
Great news Don! I finally bent to the pressure and welded up the top two rows of holes in my burn pot. It made a big difference in the amount of ash that builds up in the pot. Happy New Year to you too!

Chan

Glad to see it worked for you Chan.. My buddies exhaust vent was so black and sooty until he did that modification. Now its a nice grey ash throughout the entire system. Not having to worry about the burnpot overflowing is priceless.

The Baby is a great stove, when you give it what it wants/needs (air)..

There are a large number of stoves that suffer from air issues that once solved burn for long periods without build up.

Makes one wonder who is actually doing qc. My bet is no one.

I look at other stoves and see that you can open the damper and literally blow (suck) the pellets out of the burn pot. No so with the Baby. They offer a higher capacity exhaust blower that they call a high altitude blower. You can buy the fan blade or the whole assembly. I was thinking of that at some point although I really don't need it. The other thing they offer is a cast iron burn pot. From what I understand is it has holes on the bottom and a couple on the front side to keep the flame from leaning toward the glass.

I'll see if it's any cleaner when I do my weekly cleaning tomorrow. I don't think the stove will be running later today. Its supposed to be in the 50's today!

Don,glad to hear that dexters helping you.he knows his stuff.done know if it was mentioned but theres a couple diff ways I burn my baby on level one. First way,I set the auger trim to the lowest setting with the fan on default setting(low) the 2nd way i run mine is the auger trim set to default,but I turn the fan up to high. This is a good way to make sure your air and feed rate are correct.if the pellet feed rate is too low then it burns down too far.if theres not enough air coming through the damper it will leave black unburnt pellets in the pot.adjust draft as needed. I run mine in a combo of its on level one.the 2 ways i told you,then sometimes I turn the auger trim to lowest setting with the fan on highest setting.you shouldn't have a problem burning on any of the combinations of setting I listed. I'm the guy who started the whole baby burn pot mods,though it was dexters idea to try. Good luck with the baby.its a good stove once you tinker with it a bit. I love my stove and I get great air temps from the heat exchangers now that I modified the ol girl

barnyard840x said:
Don,glad to hear that dexters helping you.he knows his stuff.done know if it was mentioned but theres a couple diff ways I burn my baby on level one. First way,I set the auger trim to the lowest setting with the fan on default setting(low) the 2nd way i run mine is the auger trim set to default,but I turn the fan up to high. This is a good way to make sure your air and feed rate are correct.if the pellet feed rate is too low then it burns down too far.if theres not enough air coming through the damper it will leave black unburnt pellets in the pot.adjust draft as needed. I run mine in a combo of its on level one.the 2 ways i told you,then sometimes I turn the auger trim to lowest setting with the fan on highest setting.you shouldn't have a problem burning on any of the combinations of setting I listed. I'm the guy who started the whole baby burn pot mods,though it was dexters idea to try. Good luck with the baby.its a good stove once you tinker with it a bit. I love my stove and I get great air temps from the heat exchangers now that I modified the ol girl

Welcome back buddy.... Hope you guys are enjoying yourself down in Cinci... Gonna swing by today after work and fill the hopper for ya...

Barnyards stove is night and day since the mod we did.. Great little stove. Super simple to run and clean.

Love the New pic of the farenheight! Glad ya got her burning at optimal performance.thanks again for the help.I owe ya one.

barnyard840x said:

Hi barnyard

I just got it going yesterday on heat setting 3. After a while I measured the Air Temp right in front of the heat exchanger tubes and got 204 Degrees F using my IR gun. This is using the Wood Pellet burn pot and the foil with 5 holes over the air wash slit and a brand new door and ash pan gasket!

Is 204 Deg F good for heat setting 3 running Maine's Choice wood pellets??

Can any of you guys please tell me what you are getting?

Good to hear Don,your readings are pretty closeto mine. Although I measure from inside my 3rd bottom tube from the right side of the stove.(door handle side) on level 3 from inside the tube,my probe reads around 265 when dirty and 278-280 when clean. I can also raise or lower the temps by tweaking with the draft. I run my stove from the thermostat and am very happy with it.I have the corn pot in mine from the factory.thats why I was forced to tinker with it and weld my top 2 rows of holes in the pot. At the time I didn't know there were 2 different pots for the baby. I also replaced all my gaskets this spring and modified the hopper lid plate because hopppers would never seal because of the way the tabs that hold the lid on overlap the gasket surface. It didn't really affect the stove but I always had fines blowing out of the trivet plate. Glad to hear you got it running right.the owners will come to love it. Pm me if you ever have any questions or want to pick my brain

Guys I bought the cast iron pellet only pot for my Baby and it's awesome. I don't have anything to measure temps at the tubes on her yet, but on heat level three burning ProPellets my little magnetic thermometer stuck to the front in the upper right hand corner gets a little over 300 degrees.....probably not the most accurate but hotter than I got with the modified corn pot.

It takes longer to get a good bed of coals and the cast iron sucks up a lot of heat on start up, but when she's reached temp it really burns well.

If it'd help anybody with mods, I can take pictures of the cast iron pot and email or post them?

jrsdws said:
Guys I bought the cast iron pellet only pot for my Baby and it's awesome. I don't have anything to measure temps at the tubes on her yet, but on heat level three burning ProPellets my little magnetic thermometer stuck to the front in the upper right hand corner gets a little over 300 degrees.....probably not the most accurate but hotter than I got with the modified corn pot.

It takes longer to get a good bed of coals and the cast iron sucks up a lot of heat on start up, but when she's reached temp it really burns well.

If it'd help anybody with mods, I can take pictures of the cast iron pot and email or post them?

Pics.. Please. Love pics.... Barnyard should look into getting one. The way cast holds heat, it should promote better combustion (without a mod).

Yes please on the pictures! We looove pictures! My discharge temps are now 140 degrees, up from 125 with the burn pot mod....and that's on low! The stove is off now but when I restart it, I'm going to run it on high for a half hour and see what the temps are.

Chan

Chan,I haven't measured air temps on level 5 but i know my stove temp was up to over 700 degrees on my magnetic thermometer.that was after 45 mins on high.I have never had to run mine above 3after I moded my burn pot. Still want the cast pot so I can play with that too

Holy crap! That's pretty darned hot.....I would be happy with half that!

Chan

CWR said:
Holy crap! That's pretty darned hot.....I would be happy with half that!

Chan

The 700* is not convection temps.

Thats a magnetic thermometer on the steel body of the stove. Not air temps.. His air temp set-up is pretty nice. The probe is centered in that 3rd tube pretty good. Sits inside it, just a little bit and centered in the tube, away from steel.

Seeing high temps on the body isnt uncommon. Especially boxs that have steel close to the fire.

Im impressed with the heat the he gets out of his Baby (barnyard) He never needs more than level 3. And most times, less than that.

Im interested in seeing this cast pot and I dont own a Baby...

Magnum Baby Cast Iron Pellet Pot

All holes are basically 0.200" diameter....maybe up to 0.015" smaller through some parts of the radius/bottom of pot.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 421
Looking at the pot, I see a tighter concentration of holes at the bottom, less at the back (where the igniter is) and more on the front which would keep the flame from leaning toward the glass. The purpose being to maximize the airflow through the pellets for best burn. I also like the thickness of the lip and I love the fact that there are no open corners like on the stainless pot. I can see where it would work better. I may have to buy one. How much did you pay? They were around $100, right?

Chan

Total with shipping $114. Shipping is flat rate I believe. They also have the stainless pellet only pot for about $87 plus shipping. I didn't see any reason to not go to the cast for $12 more.

I agree that's the way to go. I may have to get one. Thanks for the pictures!

Chan

jrsdws said:
Total with shipping $114. Shipping is flat rate I believe. They also have the stainless pellet only pot for about $87 plus shipping. I didn't see any reason to not go to the cast for $12 more.

Thats a good looking pot for sure. Air in the bottom where its needed.

Standing in front of my buddies now (barnyard840x) Hopper was still just over half full in 24 hrs. Amazing.... Level 1 trim on its lowest position.

Dexter, that's about right. On setting 4, running off the thermostat, I use a bag a day. On warm days when the stove puts along on setting1, 1/2 a bag. It's all in the BTU's.

Don, did you get that straight from magnums website? I didn't see it there. Can you send me the info on it? Cuz I think I just fell in love! .275" thick? Thats a pellet pot there!!! Thanks for the help Don. Think I'm investing in it ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.