Magnum Baby Countryside Burning Corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsdws

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Central Illinois
I did an overnight test burn of corn in the Baby last night with good results. (yes I was lucky enough to still have a good amount of corn at good prices so I burn both corn and pellets)

I have the corn firepot and haven't permanently modified it for pellets so I "unmodded" it and filled the hopper up about 1/3 of the way with corn. I moved the jumper back over to the factory setting on pins 3-4. The Baby didn't do so good as it seemed like I just couldn't get it enough fuel so I moved the pins back to 1-2 and tried again.

At first I think I was trying to bring temps up way too fast as my burn pot was filling quickly. I tried more air, but would get the #2 blinky vacuum switch error.

After finding the sweet spot for the damper and letting the pot burn itself down (and a couple of manual stirs) I went ahead and switched her over to the t-stat. When calling for heat, I had it feeding at heat level 3. The corn would appear to really build up, but when watching it closely I'd notice a hole in the center starting to form. Soon the "pile" would settle and fall back down and look just fine. When the t-stat reached temp and she went down to pilot (still burning with auger trim on low), my fire maintained nicely and the corn was burning down very well.

I filled the hopper with corn and let her go for the night....just went out and she was still burning well with a surprisingly low coal bed in the firepot. I shut it down because I don't really need the heat in the garage right now as it's supposed to be in the 40's here for several days. When it cools down I'll see what kind of klinker formed and what it's like to remove. I suspect it won't be bad for the short burn time...about 16hrs total.

So fellas with the Baby...don't be afraid to try other fuel sources. A little tweaking of the air was all it took to burn the corn well. I think it's a simple yet versatile little stove.

jrsdws said:
I did an overnight test burn of corn in the Baby last night with good results. (yes I was lucky enough to still have a good amount of corn at good prices so I burn both corn and pellets)

I have the corn firepot and haven't permanently modified it for pellets so I "unmodded" it and filled the hopper up about 1/3 of the way with corn. I moved the jumper back over to the factory setting on pins 3-4. The Baby didn't do so good as it seemed like I just couldn't get it enough fuel so I moved the pins back to 1-2 and tried again.

At first I think I was trying to bring temps up way too fast as my burn pot was filling quickly. I tried more air, but would get the #2 blinky vacuum switch error.

After finding the sweet spot for the damper and letting the pot burn itself down (and a couple of manual stirs) I went ahead and switched her over to the t-stat. When calling for heat, I had it feeding at heat level 3. The corn would appear to really build up, but when watching it closely I'd notice a hole in the center starting to form. Soon the "pile" would settle and fall back down and look just fine. When the t-stat reached temp and she went down to pilot (still burning with auger trim on low), my fire maintained nicely and the corn was burning down very well.

I filled the hopper with corn and let her go for the night....just went out and she was still burning well with a surprisingly low coal bed in the firepot. I shut it down because I don't really need the heat in the garage right now as it's supposed to be in the 40's here for several days. When it cools down I'll see what kind of klinker formed and what it's like to remove. I suspect it won't be bad for the short burn time...about 16hrs total.

So fellas with the Baby...don't be afraid to try other fuel sources. A little tweaking of the air was all it took to burn the corn well. I think it's a simple yet versatile little stove.

Good to hear, although if you got the #2 blinky vacuum switch error, then I would really check your Door and Ash pan gaskets. Using the dollar bill test the dollar should not budge at all! In my friends case the original factory Ash Pan gasket caused the vacuum error. The factory original gasket on the ash pan is utra thin. The new flat 1/2 " wide gasket I got from the stove shop is quite a bit thicker and really does seal the ash pan up very tight!! Also I believe the factory 1/2" round rope gasket on the door is really not thick enough since I could still move the dollar bill on the left side of the door after putting in a brand new graphite impregnated gasket! I would try a 5/8" gasket next time. These seals definitely contribute to that #2 vacuum error!!

Good luck.

Don thanks. Yeah I've been through all of that...added/replaced gaskets at initial startup when trying to burn pellets. With the firepot modded I can run the damper anywhere when burning pellets. With the firepot in original state and burning corn, it was a little picky. I suspect there would still be some benefit of modding the pot when burning corn, but only closing off a row or two of the top holes.

Update Round #2: After shut down from round #1, the klinker in the bottom of the pot was a nice grey color and maybe only 1/2" thick...just starting to curl up the sides following the contour of the bottom of the firepot.....evidence of a good complete burn.

After a fast vacuum I did the dollar bill test and everything was fine, so I blocked the air wash slot again and fired it back up. I now have full damper adjustment with no blinky errors. She's a picky little bugger but easy to work on and burns like a champ when right.

I moved the jumper back to the far right...pins 3 & 4 to see if it feeds enough to get decent temps.

Hope you have the right vent pipe for corn. Corn is a lot more corrosive than pellets.

But of course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.