Magnum Baby Countryside problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tk20fan

Feb 26, 2014
Granby, NY
I have a baby countryside that has worked great for me in my barn/man cave for the past two seasons. Have done most of the mods that I found on this forum (thanks!) and have been happy with the performance.
After a spring cleaning when I fired it up a couple weeks ago it was working great, was not very cold outside so warmed the room up quick, turned it down to setting #1 and after a while it overheated and shut down except for the room blower and had an electrical smell.
Next day plugged back in and room blower kicked on without turning unit on. Everything else worked when turned on (auger, exhaust blower). Went through troubleshooting guide and it said to change the low limit snap switch in that situation, so I ordered one (part #MF3537) and still have problem with room blower running after replacing part. Tested old part and it also tested good and found no noticeable damage to any wiring.
Sorry for the long post, but anyone have any other ideas on what might fix problem?
Thanks,
Tim

Not too many folks running Baby's. The controls are similar to a lot of stoves. The first thing I would do, (while the stove is unplugged) is disconnect the snap switch that turns the fan on when the temp in the heat exchanger gets to a preset level. You only need to disconnect one wire. Make sure the wire doesn't touch anything. When you turn on the stove and the fan starts, the problem is probably in the board. AES has a few, not so good tech bulletins. The switch info is at the bottom of the bulletin.
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/Stock/LibraryFiles/t-0068babywinchestertroubleshooting1.pdf

X2 Chandler, could be the board.
Is the stove on a good surge protector???

Ps
Working on a BC-AC in my new workshop right now! The Delron auger bearing was toast! See the old one in 2 pieces above the new set on the plastic bag!
See pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 372
7 years old, Don, and still running with no issues. I've been waiting to see the pellet dust under the auger but it's still squeaky clean :) One of these days I will either have to rebuild my burn pot, buy a new cast one, or come and see you to see what you have.

7 years old, Don, and still running with no issues. I've been waiting to see the pellet dust under the auger but it's still squeaky clean :) One of these days I will either have to rebuild my burn pot, buy a new cast one, or come and see you to see what you have.
Wow Chandler your stove is doing great! I have been using 100% softwood Auger Easy pellets these days. (Oakanagan Golds) How about you?
Also you are welcome to come see my new workshop anytime. :)

Just buffed out the auger with a wire wheel, sprayed the auger down with "Dry Moly" and installed a new top brass bearing and a new Delron bottom bearing. Also used high temp CLEAR RTV on the auger end plate for good looks. :)
Auger turns like a knife thru butter by hand!
See pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Great job Don! I've been burning Vermonts for the last three years. I tried a bag of the new and very expensive Okies and they did burn well, but I've got a couple tons of Vermonts so.....

Thanks for the reply guys, looks like it is a bad control.
Yes, it is on a power strip, but maybe I should invest in a better quality one.
Also noticed a little bit of fine pellet dust at end of auger, should I look into replacing bearings?

You can find those boards on line. No need to go with AES. I'm sure someone will chime in with the best place to get them. Easy to replace too.

As far as the fines at the end of the auger go, the reason this can be a big deal is the room air fan's air is drawing right next to the end of the auger and if there is a lot of dust, it will get drawn into the fan and will be shot out of the heat exchanger tubes into the room. In some cases, the tubes were hot enough to cause the dust to ignite so there are burning sparks shooting out of the stove. I can't say how much is too much, but if it's a very little amount, I would keep an eye on it.

Yeah, it is a very small amount as of now. I don't use the stove very much, usually once or twice a week, but will keep an eye on it.
If anyone has a source for boards other than AES, I would appreciate it. They have the part listed for $225 and prob $20 shipping.
Thanks again for the help.

Hello
I am also putting in a super upgraded exhaust blower for this baby.
See pics. How does it look?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: ChandlerR
Hello
I am also putting in a super upgraded exhaust blower for this baby.
See pics. How does it look?

What kind of blower is that Don? Someday I want an upgrade so I don't have to plug my air wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.