Magnum or Quadra-Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcphazer

Jan 17, 2010
Central michigan
Hello,
I'm new to this site and plan on getting a new stove within the next month. I have two close dealers, one sells the magnum Countryside and the other has a Mt. Vernon AE. My house is 2400 square ft and I'm not sure what to get. ( Any ideas???) The Vernon AE is about $1500 more then the magnum but I am more interested in keeping the house warm and not paying for propane. I have done a lot of searching on this site and you all have been very helpful. Thanks for all the help!!

Welcome to the forum DCphazer. Lots of nice and knowledgeable people here. Before reading any other posts from forum members about your choices, read this thread from the Webmaster:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_22/

I won't make any recommendations on those stoves, but not because I think their bad. I'm sure both would work just fine.

I WILL offer this piece of advice: It's all about what dealer gives the best service. You can buy the world's best stove, but if you have a dealer that doesn't give 2 craps about helping you after getting your $$, the stove is worthless.

Good luck!

Welcome dcphazer.

You might want to start by finding out what your homes heat loss is as that is the need that must be met.

If you have a central heating system and it has been able to keep up with your heat needs then a good starting point would be the rating plate on that unit, you'll then need your present systems efficiency rating and the amount of the other fuel you burned on average per heating season.

The other way to come up with the figure is to do a heat loss calculation, this requires that you know how your home is constructed.

Then you have a good starting point.

good dealer support is a must.
and you know what they say...

nothing burns like a quad.

central michigan i know that the magum dealer around marshall michigan does good some of the guys i work with have bought stoves from him and had him service them

Welcome dc
What the others have said, dealer plays a big part, even moreso if you are not mechanically handy. I believe these are both multi or flex fueled units which is a great idea. Nice to have choices and I think the multi fuel stoves are slightly less finicky. 2 quality pieces. Good luck with whatever you chose. And lets plan on pics after the purchase cause we love pics here!!

Schondog

I'll agree that the dealer can make a huge difference in how things go, however, even the best dealer in the world isn't likely to be able to get someone right out to you if the stove needs to be fixed so make certain you are not relying on the stove to be your primary heat unless you have spare parts and can handle it yourself.

My rules say to get a stove that can meet the heat load required plus a reserve, as reserve heating capacity allows the temperature to be raised faster, and will allow the stove to normally run at less than flat out.

If it is going to be your primary heat source, get a spare combustion blower, convection blower, and control panel.
Become thoroughly familiar with the stove and keep it clean.

That way you won't find yourself in a pickle if things go south.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
dcphazer said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Magnum dealer in Farewell MI also.

Quad dealer in Harrison

BIH

Those are the two that I have talked with.

I bought my quad from the dealer in Harrison. He has been great!

Thats very good to know. I live in Clare so both are close by for me but I think i'm going with the quad. The mag dealer in farwell only had three stoves on the floor and has to sub out the install. That raised a flag with me. Jim ( one of the owners) in harrison seams like a very smart man with a good service dept. My house furnace is a 72,000 BTUH so I best go with the bigger stove.

See if either dealer will let you try one out for a month.

I've sold and used both stoves. I can say I would prefer a Quadrafire. One good thing about the Magnums is they are easy to work on, but thats about it. Magnum also has a 1 year parts only warranty. Read the warrany on both stoves and ask both dealers what their warranty policy is. How a dealer handles service is just as important as how the manufacturer does it.

Not trying to sell you anything here, because your way out of my sales territory, but you should at least "look at" the Europa if your tempted to spend Quadrafire money. It will run quieter than the Quad, use 30-40% less pellets and has a built in battery backup. In our territory they are currently on sale for about $4400. Check with some dealers out your way. The fuel savings alone may make the purchase worth while.

Franks said:
I've sold and used both stoves. I can say I would prefer a Quadrafire. One good thing about the Magnums is they are easy to work on, but thats about it. Magnum also has a 1 year parts only warranty. Read the warrany on both stoves and ask both dealers what their warranty policy is. How a dealer handles service is just as important as how the manufacturer does it.

Not trying to sell you anything here, because your way out of my sales territory, but you should at least "look at" the Europa if your tempted to spend Quadrafire money. It will run quieter than the Quad, use 30-40% less pellets and has a built in battery backup. In our territory they are currently on sale for about $4400. Check with some dealers out your way. The fuel savings alone may make the purchase worth while.

I will take a look at them if i can find a dealer in this area. I have no idea where that may be and I can't find a website to put in my zip. Thanks for all the info you people have gave me.

Status
Not open for further replies.