Main flame won't turn off.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyomed

Feb 28, 2006
Hi gurus...

I have a Buck Stove gas stove that is a few years old. I recently switched thermostats to a wireless version. The stove worked fine this winter...until yesterday. Now, the main flame will not go out unless I turn the control knob on the stove to pilot. I've checked the thermostat and receiver, they are communicating. The batteries are new in both. The signal from the thermostat makes it to where the wires terminate. After turning the knob to pilot, if I turn it back to on, the stove lights right away. It's like the valve that the thermostat should shut down is stuck open. Am I on the right track? What is this valve called? Any other ideas on what might cause this problem?

Whereabouts in Wyo are you from? At any rate get a 3" piece of wire and strip both ends. Then look at your gas valve disconnect the wires that come from your thermostat or switch. (TPTH & TH) Take yer piece of wire and "jump" those two terminals across at this point the burner should ignite, disconnect the wire and the burner should extinguish. 99% of the time the problem is in the thermostat circuit and not the valve, and usually if it's a valve the operator head is defective and the burner won't turn on at all.

make shure the reciever box is in the remote position, also make shure the rockerswitch is in the thermostat position (if you have one). Check your batteries in the reciever if is DC.

Thanks for the replies... let my try this again.

The problem is that the main flame won't go OFF. The thermostat tells the receiver to shut off, but the stove stays lit. What is the actual mechanism called that controls gas flow to the main burners? Where is it? I think this valve sticks open unless I manually turn the gas control to "pilot".

Maybe it's time to call out the service guy.

I understand the question, no matter what the thermostat says the burner will not turn off if the reciever side of the system is in the "on" position. Take one of the wires of the valve and see if it shuts off. If it does then there might be a problem with the remote system. If it doesnt there might be something wrong with the thermopile circuit in the valve. Break the circuit manually to isolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.