Maine CHoice Pellets at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NHPltBrnr said:
BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:
I picked up 25 bags @ the $3.74 price.

I rate them about the same as the NEWP I burned last year. (Jaffery plant)

Not as hot (barely) as Vermonts or Okies, but decent in my stove.

A bit more ash than Okies or Vermonts, but the glass is about the same.

Stove is a St. Croix Auburn.

Based on Jay's results ......they would be 21 degrees less than the Okies, and 5 degrees less than the Vermont's......so more than barely and just barely..
As for ash.......121% more than the Vermont and 92% more than the Okies........pretty much double in both cases.....which is a hellva lot more than just " a bit more"....

Price is right, but much more cleaning as well........for some, a great deal.....for others ...too much work to clean that much.....just how much is your time worth?

1. I don't work for them, I'm not trying to sell them to you, and I could care less if you, or anyone else buys them. I myself just bought some to try, based soley on price.

2. My testing is not scientific. My "barely" is based on my home thermometer. With Okies and Vermonts, I held a constant 74 degrees on the number 2 setting on my thermometer situated about 14 feet in front of the stove. The Maines held 72-73 degrees. All other factors were the same, the outdoors temps have been very consistent the last two weeks, my fans running in the same positions, same times. So, yeah, they were "barely" less hot than Okies or Vermonts. My opinion, again, not scientific.

3. I clean my stove weekly, and yes, there is "a bit more" ash with the Maines. Does the percentage really matter to me, no. I'll have to speak to my vac about it, it's his problem.

4. I believe it has been said on here before, but different pellets burn different in different stoves. Agreed?

5. I took your post to be a little demeaning in regard to my post. I was just throwing out my opinion based on my experience with these pellets, I apologize for not being technical enough.

Back to lurking I guess-

It's unfortunate this site can't just be about people giving their opinions on wood pellets without this salesguy piping in any time someone dares to mention something that could be deemed as unflattering towards the products he sells.

Okies are pretty good pellet. Not the greatest, and certainly not worth the money when decent pellets are going at almost $2 less a bag.

Just like any salesman, when he can't compete with the competition's price he gets aggressive with his pitch. It's nonsense.

I'll take my advice from people who don't sell pellets for a living thankyouverymuch.

And to all of my friends posting and reading.......Please let me wish you all a happy Hannukah!

Don2222 said:
Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and the Maine's Choice pellets burn very well!

Those pellets kept my upstairs in the split entry home at a comfy 71 degrees. When it was 9 degrees outside one morning last week, I only had to turn up the heat feed rate to 3 out of 6!

At Lowes new Sale price I am saving my $5 per bag Canadian Logik-e pellets for January!!

Stick with the Green Team over the Maine's Choice.... (The Maine Woods is a much better pellet)

BTU said:
GenghisJon said:
NHPltBrnr said:
BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:

I rate them about the same as the NEWP I burned last year. (Jaffery plant)

Not as hot (barely) as Vermonts or Okies, but decent in my stove.

A bit more ash than Okies or Vermonts, but the glass is about the same.

Stove is a St. Croix Auburn.

Based on Jay's results ......they would be 21 degrees less than the Okies, and 5 degrees less than the Vermont's......so more than barely and just barely..
As for ash.......121% more than the Vermont and 92% more than the Okies........pretty much double in both cases.....which is a hellva lot more than just " a bit more"....

Price is right, but much more cleaning as well........for some, a great deal.....for others ...too much work to clean that much.....just how much is your time worth?

Well no ill will towards ya buddy. Merry Christmas to you as well.

1. I don't work for them, I'm not trying to sell them to you, and I could care less if you, or anyone else buys them. I myself just bought some to try, based soley on price.

2. My testing is not scientific. My "barely" is based on my home thermometer. With Okies and Vermonts, I held a constant 74 degrees on the number 2 setting on my thermometer situated about 14 feet in front of the stove. The Maines held 72-73 degrees. All other factors were the same, the outdoors temps have been very consistent the last two weeks, my fans running in the same positions, same times. So, yeah, they were "barely" less hot than Okies or Vermonts. My opinion, again, not scientific.

3. I clean my stove weekly, and yes, there is "a bit more" ash with the Maines. Does the percentage really matter to me, no. I'll have to speak to my vac about it, it's his problem.

4. I believe it has been said on here before, but different pellets burn different in different stoves. Agreed?

5. I took your post to be a little demeaning in regard to my post. I was just throwing out my opinion based on my experience with these pellets, I apologize for not being technical enough.

Back to lurking I guess-

It's unfortunate this site can't just be about people giving their opinions on wood pellets without this salesguy piping in any time someone dares to mention something that could be deemed as unflattering towards the products he sells.

Okies are pretty good pellet. Not the greatest, and certainly not worth the money when decent pellets are going at almost $2 less a bag.

Just like any salesman, when he can't compete with the competition's price he gets aggressive with his pitch. It's nonsense.

I'll take my advice from people who don't sell pellets for a living thankyouverymuch.

Jon......you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.......I am in no mood to argue with you, especially since you obviously seem to know everything......Happy Holidays......

Well no ill will towards ya buddy. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Well now I'm gunna weep.
I can just feel the love.

Don2222 - 12 December 2010 01:38 PM

Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and the Maine’s Choice pellets burn very well!

Those pellets kept my upstairs in the split entry home at a comfy 71 degrees. When it was 9 degrees outside one morning last week, I only had to turn up the heat feed rate to 3 out of 6!

At Lowes new Sale price I am saving my $5 per bag Canadian Logik-e pellets for January!!

Stick with the Green Team over the Maine’s Choice…. (The Maine Woods is a much better pellet)
Signature

Quadra-Fire Castille 2006 House
Quadra-Fire Castille 2008 Office over Garage

TWINS!

Funny, I wanted to buy Green Team but Lowes ran out. So I got the Infernos then the Maines Choice. Like Maines Choice better than Infernos and sounds like Green Team are even better. However Lowes gets what they get and the $3.74 per bag is a great price! Thanks for your comments

I picked up a few bags of "Maine's Choice" at Lowe's to try 'em out and they are by far better than the "Natures Own" batch that I bought in the fall, 3 tons, ouch.
The "Maine's Choice" has good heat and burn clean. The "Nature's Own" I have, has poor heat and burn "dirty" with massive clinkers, every bag (so far) that I have.

BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:
BTU said:
NHPltBrnr said:

<snip>4. d. Agreed…..but bad pellets are still a pain in the ass regardless of what stove you burn them in. Just ask just about anybody who burned ACP’s or Maine Woods in 2008…..<snip>

I bought 4 tons of Maine Woods in 2008. The only way to burn them is to mix them 4:1 with a better pellet. I am burning up my last ton this year and the bottom of the bags are splitting so you have to be real carefull bringing them into the house. Guess it was the gift that never quits giving.

Just got to get me some MC and MW and see for myself.

Due to Money issues I have had to resort to buying from Lowes this year. I have just finished Burning Five Bags of Maine Choice from lowes. I have also used the GreenTeam from there as well. As a comparison In the previous Two years I have used CleanFire and Newp. the Maines Choice gave a good heat, not quite as hot I thought as the Cleanfire, or in fact the Green Team. I also thought they gave more Ash content. When I started the Maines Choice , I had run the last couple of Cleanfires I had from last year, so there was a little ash in the pan. The Five Bags pushed out enough ash to 3/4 fill my ash pan. I wouldnt put them at the top but ok for an emergency, or if I cant get some more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.