Maine pellet users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
A while back Jackson Lab in Bar Harbor said they were installing a wood pellet burner. They are going to need 6 trucks a day to run the unit.
Will replace 1 million gallons of oil, I wonder how it will affect the supply.

Good question : But I wouldn't worry to much. I am pretty sure that the burnner that they have, uses standard grade pellets.

I agree, Most industrial/biomass boiler's use standard or industrial grade pellets. They are more tolerant to the higher ash fuel and they cost less than a premium grade pellet.

Gotta wonder, though, how much will this affect production of Premium grades. IF local mills can have a guaranteed market for MAJOR amount of low grade product, at lower production cost / ton, will this take away from quantity/quality of premium grades? Time will tell,I guess.

hossthehermit said:
Gotta wonder, though, how much will this affect production of Premium grades. IF local mills can have a guaranteed market for MAJOR amount of low grade product, at lower production cost / ton, will this take away from quantity/quality of premium grades? Time will tell,I guess.

Good question hoss, The way some of the mills are saying things are tough. Some just may go for a steady paycheck. The reason we saw a price decrease this season on fuel was supply surpassed demand. If the tide turns and demand exceeds the supply?. Well you know what I mean.

Again, the reason I bought a multifuel stove.

Hello

Here are some nice articles on it.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/11/23/business/jackson-lab-starts-wood-pellet-project/

http://www.pizzagalli.com/blog/pizz...ory-break-ground-on-renewable-energy-project/

http://www.sunjournal.com/state/story/946855?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+sunjournaltopheadlines+(Latest+news)

Quote from 1st link above!
"At full firing rate, the burner is expected to burn through 60 tons of pellets in one day, which is enough to heat 400 Maine homes in the winter, they indicated."

Wow at 20 pallets per tractor trailer that is 3 truckloads a day!!!

Wow hope they do use grass pellets and not our Lowe's or Home Depot's!!
I know my Lowe's only gets 20 pallets per week if that!!

According to one article, they will be using MWP and MC, Athens and Strong.
Wonder why Corinth was left out of the deal, they are the closest.

Geo. said:
Here's an article today that mentions there's plenty of capacity: http://www.pressherald.com/news/pellet-production_2011-02-13.html
Maine the ability to grow this industry if the demand is there.

Just because the mills are running at 50% capacity, or 70%, whatever, doesn't mean the supply of raw material is available. Some mills are using whole tree harvesting, but others are relying on sawdust and other secondary sources, a lot of things figure into the equation. We heard this a couple years ago, no sawdust available. But yes, hopefully the mills can step up production AND maintain quality.

Maine was, and may still be the #2 paper producing state in the country, but production in that industry is way down from what it once was. Demand for paper is way down, and recycling is up. Of course, forestry has been tied to that industry. There are many in the forestry industry without jobs, and good once-productive forests can be used again, this time for making pellets. If a mill is relying on sawdust, there's not much it can do to expand. The new mills are not dependent on sawdust or they become tied to another cyclical industry, housing.

Geo. said:
Maine was, and may still be the #2 paper producing state in the country, but production in that industry is way down from what it once was. Demand for paper is way down, and recycling is up. Of course, forestry has been tied to that industry. There are many in the forestry industry without jobs, and good once-productive forests can be used again, this time for making pellets. If a mill is relying on sawdust, there's not much it can do to expand. The new mills are not dependent on sawdust or they become tied to another cyclical industry, housing.

Having spent the last 39 years in a paper mill, you don't need to explain the situation within the paper industry to me. As far as I know, the Athens mill is the only one in Maine designed to use whole trees as the primary source of raw material.

Status
Not open for further replies.