Maine Pellets - softwood. Reaction: meh...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
Last year I burnt mostly LaCrete's softwood pellets (after burning 2 tons of Cubex) and some other random varieties for testing.

This year, I called up SIBS (too late apparently) and there's a waiting list for the LaCrete's and Oakies. Needing some pellets for the early part of the year, I decided to grab a ton of the Maine Wood Pellets - softwoods.

and I have to tell you - I don't like them at all. They don't burn anywhere near as good as LaCrete's or Oakies. I wasn't expecting them to perform at that level, but they don't even feel like a softwood to me. They burn more like a cheap hardwood pellet (ok, maybe not quite that bad), but so far I'm not impressed.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Can't speak to the MWP softwoods yet. I grabbed a ton of them this year and plan to put them to use during the coldest part of winter this year. I burned mostly MVP blend last year and was the best pellets I used. I tried several different brands and found these to work the best for me in my P68. I bought another 5 tons this year.

Just started burning MWP soft, only couple of burns, will wait till more burns. I sent an email to MWP and asked them how they got 100% softwood pellets so dark like hardwood, no reply yet.

Gee,i just ordered 2 tons 2 weeks ago after i heard how great they burned....i have used the hardwood blend,good heat but found they made my stove dirty alot faster,but for the price....tuff to beat.
I too have a Harman...that thing will burn anything as long as its dry

Can't speak to the MWP softwoods yet. I grabbed a ton of them this year and plan to put them to use during the coldest part of winter this year. I burned mostly MVP blend last year and was the best pellets I used. I tried several different brands and found these to work the best for me in my P68. I bought another 5 tons this year.

Same here, I ordered 1 ton of softwood and 1 ton of the blend, since the blend (at TSC last winter) burned so well for us - not as good as the barefoots but they were 1.50/bag cheaper.

I had great results with them last year, and have 7 tons this year. HIGH heat, and low ash. Best pellet I have burned yet (even over Oakies, CleanFire Pacific, and LG's).

I HATED the MWP Blend though ~ worst pellet yet ~ but other's love it, so it may just be a batch thing.

How long did you burn them? Was there a lot of ash or was it just low heat? I have 1.5 tons and I hope they burn well. Time will tell. Steve from SIB said most everyone who bought them last year bought them again this year. I wonder if it is a different batch or something?

How long did you burn them? Was there a lot of ash or was it just low heat? I have 1.5 tons and I hope they burn well. Time will tell. Steve from SIB said most everyone who bought them last year bought them again this year. I wonder if it is a different batch or something?

I'm not sure. I'm finding the heat isn't as high as an Oakie/LaCrete, ash has stayed pretty low but the glass is a bit dirtier...

I have them but haven't burn many yet. When I did I didn't pay attention . I was just running the stove to take the chill out of the house or keep the furnace from kicking on overnight.
I did like them alot last year so I bought them again this year. Good heat, burned pretty clean and fair price. I agree about the blend I tried some a couple of seasons ago and didnt like them.

Also referred to as SIBS ;)
Yup.
I think he was at $219/ton for the blend and $249/ton for the softies the last tine I checked a week or two ago. I was surprised he still has the softies. Thought they were only doing a small batch and that they sold out faster last year.

Yup.
I think he was at $219/ton for the blend and $249/ton for the softies the last tine I checked a week or two ago. I was surprised he still has the softies. Thought they were only doing a small batch and that they sold out faster last year.

Either they didn't sell well, they didn't ship as much out of state, or they made more this year. The local Paris Farmers Union is selling them too. I didn't check the price.

Lowes is selling Maine Premium pellets for $209 (contractor price without military or moving coupon). Are these the same or compatible to those sold my SIBS?

Lowes is selling Maine Premium pellets for $209 (contractor price without military or moving coupon). Are these the same or compatible to those sold my SIBS?
If they are this bag:
00abe666-a2ee-4ba3-9254-854c5f695340_300.jpg

then they are the regular Maine Woods Pellets blend (65% hardwood/35%softwood I think) and are the same as what SIBs is calling the MWP Hardwood. They are not the pellet that is being referred to in this post which is a 100% softwood pellet. SIBs is selling both pellets though, the regular blend and the softwood.

If they are green/tan bag that are called "Maine's Choice" then they are a different pellet made by Geneva Wood Fuels in Strong, ME. SIBs doesn't sell these.

HD in Bangor is selling those (MWP not Maine Choice) for $197.

All Lowes I have checked have had Maine's Choice not Maine Wood Pellets. If you are in Southern Maine, Tractor Supply in Windham has MWP Blend for 192/ton - no coupon necessary. That is cheapest "non-coupon" price I have found in the area and MWP seems to get decent reviews.

At the moment I have been burning the MWP (blend) in my Castile. They are a good price at $3.94 a bag, but I only burn them as a shoulder pellet.
With MWP the l heat output is lower, and I need to clean my stove every three days. When it's really cold I switch to Okies and up goes the heat, and clean only once a week.

In about two weeks I will finally have the room to store some new pellets. Hoping to find some decent.priced pellets. Wish me luck :)

They are making more of them. Apparently, they have a shortage of hardwood and are making more 100 percent softwood. They plan to continue into the foreseeable future. I have three ton. They burn hotter than the blend and seem to have a little less ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.