Maine Softwoods & top feeders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
My Lopi was burning erraticly & after a thorough cleaning, or what i thought was thorough , it was still burning s@#$$y then i rememered a ton or so ago, i let the pellets run down in the hopper. Got in there with my little shopvac & fingers & pulled & vacumed out a boatload of fines. Long story shortned, world of difference in the burn. The erratic burning had been responsible for a major buildup in my outside exhaust. Just thought i'd throw that out there. Muss

Forgot to say that the lousy burn was caused by the fines which made the feed erratic

Right, fines leave little room for the pellets. You need a fine sifter.

slls said:
Right, fines leave little room for the pellets. You need a fine sifter.

Agreed. Some people need a sifter. Some dont.

Some models handle fines better than others. Quadrafires cant take fines at all.. The auger is a spring, so it just builds up at the bottom, blocking pellet feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.