Maine Wood Pellets at $199 delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
geek said:
wow, are this maine wood brand that good jay, hmmm, where did you get the bag for testing?

I can't tell you geek the Maine boys will have my hid. I hit there secret stash! :)

I got them at Blakeslee in Middletown, But CTpellet has them. I just wasn't sure on his batch. I also have a strong feeling the Quality One at BT is MWP rebagged. But no actual proof. I pickup a couple of bags they donated to add to the test thread. Wanna bet the numbers match??

Man, Jay: you go all the way to Middletown for Maine Woods and then all the way to Oxford, MA to get those Blazers. Shall we call for the intervention? :)

Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
geek said:
wow, are this maine wood brand that good jay, hmmm, where did you get the bag for testing?

I can't tell you geek the Maine boys will have my hid. I hit there secret stash! :)

I got them at Blakeslee in Middletown, But CTpellet has them. I just wasn't sure on his batch. I also have a strong feeling the Quality One at BT is MWP rebagged. But no actual proof. I pickup a couple of bags they donated to add to the test thread. Wanna bet the numbers match??

Man, Jay: you go all the way to Middletown for Maine Woods and then all the way to Oxford, MA to get those Blazers. Shall we call for the intervention? :)

What can I say! I am a very very sick person! No No No! Its not like that really. Please let me explain! :)

Seriously! I meet a hearth member iron stove at Blakeslee to exchange pellets. He got the blazers from his brother who travels to Mass. While I was there I got some pellets to test. 2 birds one stone! You guys think I am a total fruit loop?

j-takeman said:
slls,

So far so good. The only negitive so far is the rough texture makes them not slide to well in the hopper. Its run ten hours and the burnpot still looks clean, About all I can say right now. But I highly recommend you get a bag or 2 and try them. :)

Sorry if I seemed gruff. I can just see the Maine boys jumping on me if the results don't fair well. Takes the fun out of this testing stuff real fast.

Check this out! Interesting. Look at the first post!

http://woodpelletreviews.com/
I think Jay is trying real hard to stay neutral and stick to the standards of his testing. To that, I want to say thank you. He has made it very clear what his objectives are. He is consistent with his postings of each product. We all have opinions. Much of this forum's postings are opinions. Jay has managed to stay objective. I have benefited in many ways from his and others contributions. Never too old to learn! So much better to have a good idea what you are getting into, than to go only by trial and error.
I am also impressed by the remarkable turnaround this company has made. I really thought they were done for after reading some of the horror stories posted. That's real Yankee spirit to stand up and become the best you can be!

j-takeman said:
Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
geek said:

What can I say! I am a very very sick person! No No No! Its not like that really. Please let me explain! :)

Seriously! I meet a hearth member iron stove at Blakeslee to exchange pellets. He got the blazers from his brother who travels to Mass. While I was there I got some pellets to test. 2 birds one stone! You guys think I am a total fruit loop?

Let's see who do you know who has a timer wired to his pellet stove, burns 2 bags or so of just about every pellet available in NE, has regular meetings with other hearth.com regulars to exchange pellets some of which come from yet other parties, and to top it all off has a couple of Easter Eggers as pets.

That sure sounds like an invitation to an intervention for some loopy person err I mean Pellet Pig. What do the rest of you say?

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
geek said:

Let's see who do you know who has a timer wired to his pellet stove, burns 2 bags or so of just about every pellet available in NE, has regular meetings with other hearth.com regulars to exchange pellets some of which come from yet other parties, and to top it all off has a couple of Easter Eggers as pets.

That sure sounds like an invitation to an intervention for some loopy person err I mean Pellet Pig. What do the rest of you say?
gbreda told me I was pellet loco! And I didn't believe him. You think I need help? Is there such a thing as AA for pellet heads or does coming to hearth.com count? :)

j-takeman All that pellet testing has to keep you warm.

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
slls,

So far so good. The only negitive so far is the rough texture makes them not slide to well in the hopper. Its run ten hours and the burnpot still looks clean, About all I can say right now. But I highly recommend you get a bag or 2 and try them. :)

Sorry if I seemed gruff. I can just see the Maine boys jumping on me if the results don't fair well. Takes the fun out of this testing stuff real fast.

Anyone know who runs that site? Anyone we know? (Don't be shy!) They seem to take some of our comments from here. I discovered it a month or two ago. Looks like it is evolving quickly.

Robert Anderson
He is a member here too! quazi95 We have been in touch.

Yup, that's me.. And yes, I have used a few of your comments from this site, but, if my memory serves me, I did give credits that they came from this forum. I think I should have bought a Harmon so I know what your all talking about. I just push a button and adjust the air. I have the Lopi Leyden. I enjoy reading your posts.

quazi95 said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
slls,

Anyone know who runs that site? Anyone we know? (Don't be shy!) They seem to take some of our comments from here. I discovered it a month or two ago. Looks like it is evolving quickly.

Robert Anderson

Yup, that's me.. And yes, I have used a few of your comments from this site, but, if my memory serves me, I did give credits that they came from this forum. I think I should have bought a Harmon so I know what your all talking about. I just push a button and adjust the air. I have the Lopi Leyden. I enjoy reading your posts.

Using our comments is OK if the credits were given. We won't skin you for it. Welcome to our little group!

quazi95 said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Gweeper64 said:
j-takeman said:
slls,

Robert Anderson

Who's got a Harmon? Is that a new brand of stove?

I have it even simpler than you do quazi95, I just push a button.

The MWP batch is just about done. I should be able to post the results tomorrow after work. Keep the fingers crossed! :)

j-takeman said:
The MWP batch is just about done. I should be able to post the results tomorrow after work. Keep the fingers crossed! :)

Drum roll tap tap tap................................................................

I also just got 2 tons from sibwoodpellets.com,jay,maine.$199.00/ton with free delivery.much improved from previous years. Recent test at U Maine forestry showed 8700 btus/pound. I think these are great pellets

j-takeman said:

and the winner is........

... :coolsmile:

Results For MWP are in! WOW!

Holy mermaids batman! :) Were did they come from!

My review in words.
I'd have to say outstanding results from what I really expected. Best blended pellet? Well that might be pushing it just a bit(sorry quazi95). Now don't ripe my head off! The only reason I say that is density and the heat. I know I know! Just increase the feedrate. But I think of everyone when I do a review. I say that because of the poor sole who does have the stove sized right to the home or is limping along with a less affordable stove less efficient. If there pushing the max on the heat settings with a top shelf pellet. They might not be able to keep warm without adding some assistance from the furnace or what have you!

Overall I would say 8 to 8 1/2 out of 10 star rating. Not a shoulder pellet anymore!

I told you I wasn't the best at writing reviews. I would rather stick to numbers and such! Me and words don't do well as I hated english in school! So don't beat me up to bad. After all everyone is entitle to there humble opinion. :)

Some more facts on how they did in my stove: Just a bit of glazing on the glass light gray in color. 90% wiped off with a brush and the rest was easily removed with plain old tap water! Slight carbon in the burnpot. Just a little chisling to remove. No clumps of ash. Very light texture. They did not slide to well in my hopper. Stove went out with about 5 pounds left to go. I had to push them down and restart the stove. Not a big deal if you keep the hopper full. As you can see I did like them and the biggest Pro is there only $210/ton compaired to others at $245 and up.

8-8 1/2 is alot better rating than they got a year ago! i have been burning mwp's since they began. true , the first yr. was BAD, but they have progressively gotten better. on a side note...just to let people know, i went to the mill last week to help my dad get a couple ton. dad asked the woman in the office if he could get the ones in the bags with the black markings as he had heard they burn better than the green ones. the woman kinda chuckled and told him they are all the same pellets,just new bags. she also told him they have changed the mix to 70% hardwood 30% softwood.

j-takeman said:

My review in words.
I'd have to say outstanding results from what I really expected. Best blended pellet? Well that might be pushing it just a bit(sorry quazi95). Now don't ripe my head off! The only reason I say that is density and the heat. I know I know! Just increase the feedrate. But I think of everyone when I do a review. I say that because of the poor sole who does have the stove sized right to the home or is limping along with a less affordable stove less efficient. If there pushing the max on the heat settings with a top shelf pellet. They might not be able to keep warm without adding some assistance from the furnace or what have you!

Overall I would say 8 to 8 1/2 out of 10 star rating. Not a shoulder pellet anymore!

I told you I wasn't the best at writing reviews. I would rather stick to numbers and such! Me and words don't do well as I hated english in school! So don't beat me up to bad. After all everyone is entitle to there humble opinion. :)

Some more facts on how they did in my stove: Just a bit of glazing on the glass light gray in color. 90% wiped off with a brush and the rest was easily removed with plain old tap water! Slight carbon in the burnpot. Just a little chisling to remove. No clumps of ash. Very light texture. They did not slide to well in my hopper. Stove went out with about 5 pounds left to go. I had to push them down and restart the stove. Not a big deal if you keep the hopper full. As you can see I did like them and the biggest Pro is there only $210/ton compaired to others at $245 and up.
great to hear. I'm now debating over the best hardwood pellets. I have a list on my homepage and you'll notice the majority of them are from flooring or millwork. I'm torn so let me know what you all think. I put in barefoot from the 3 bags I burned last year. So if my memory serves me right, they were pretty awesome. If someone has an opinion of this years batch then let me know and I'll drop them out of the race.

later, Thanks Jay! nice review. My stove is loving these pellets.

j-takeman said:

Nothing to beat you up about. That was a fine review.

I definitely must have had an old production batch. I had a lot more ash than that.

Looks like I have a few calls to make tomorrow, got to see who has what and their charge for delivery.

Looks like the 2011-2012 season stash will be in the bunker this year and I have the room for them without moving anything.

Jay, You did good with that review! It is what it is. I know there will be some disgruntle murmuring. After all, that pellet name started out on the wrong foot at time when pellets were hard to get and expensive. They took their licks in the wood shed and came out all the better for it.
I knew the performance I was getting had to be more than the OAK I added. I am getting good heat, no ash in the burn pot, and the glass stays cleaner longer and easily wipes up with a paper towel. your are right about them not sliding down the hopper well. With the hopper extension, I can keep it full enough not to worry about the fire going out without having burned what I have put in.
I'll be getting another couple ton of them with the sale still going on. Good pellet and good protection from inflation. Can't help but feel that once they get their reputation reflective of the quality of the pellet, their price structure may change. But for now, I'll get a few more and have a little edge. If nothing else, I'll feel better about it.
Thanks!

j-takeman said:

My review in words.

Thanks again, as promised your on the homepage with your full review on the MWP page. Looks good,, check it out www.woodpelletreviews.com

quazi95 said:
j-takeman said:

My review in words.

Thanks again, as promised your on the homepage with your full review on the MWP page. Looks good,, check it out www.woodpelletreviews.com

"Also, with permission and new to woodpelletreviews.com, a review of MWP from Mr. J. Takeman AKA "Inferno" from Hearth.com"

Inferno...... :lol:

j-takeman said:
People are saying they have seen 4 to 5 different bags out there. Maybe trying to confuse us?? IDK. I hope they burn nice though!

If not you can use them like i did...to keep the sidewalk out front from becoming slippery...they are more 'green" than rock salt.

geek said:
quazi95 said:
j-takeman said:

My review in words.

"Also, with permission and new to woodpelletreviews.com, a review of MWP from Mr. J. Takeman AKA "Inferno" from Hearth.com"

Inferno...... :lol:

What? Am I not hot??? how about warm. :cheese: ;-P :red:

SparkyDog said:
j-takeman said:
People are saying they have seen 4 to 5 different bags out there. Maybe trying to confuse us?? IDK. I hope they burn nice though!

If not you can use them like i did...to keep the sidewalk out front from becoming slippery...they are more 'green" than rock salt.

I would not waste the newest batch of MWP for that. To good IMO. I am sure you could find some ACP's or other junk pellet! ;-P

j-takeman said:
SparkyDog said:
j-takeman said:

I would not waste the newest batch of MWP for that. To good IMO. I am sure you could find some ACP's or other junk pellet! ;-P

IIRC there was this pellet plant down in Massachusetts that could provide what SparkyDog needs for his ice control, what's that you say ....

Status
Not open for further replies.