Maine Woods Blend Pellets - bad choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CakeMyDay

Oct 6, 2009
Southern, NH
My local pellet seller is pushing these Maine Woods "blend" pellets. I don't really know much about them, or that brand. I did a google search and only found one review, which was very negative. Another search landed me here. I them searched the forums on this question, but I am not sure I understand. Can anyone please give me a bottom line answer on these blends - are they a good or bad choice?

My stove is in the basement/playroom. We also have propane heating throughout the 1st and 2nd floors of my home. The pellet stove mostly works the playroom and 1st floor. It is a Whitfield, and seems to be a bit old (10 years or so). I have been buying the following pellets (because that seems to be what is available for delivery in my area) since we bought the home 4 years ago:

1. Agway Premium Hardwood
2. Energex
3. Valfei Ambiance
4. Pennington Nature's Heat.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Lyn

last year was the first year of mwp's...they had a bad reputation at the start, due to a poor grade of pellets. the plant worked consistantly thru out the year to improve , and went as far as replacing pellets or refunding monies.

this year, they have improved quite a bit. i just hauled and put away 3 ton for my dad, and on opening his first bag, they looked very good. nice uniform length, 80-20 hardwood/softwood,and quite shiny. i may buy a couple bags off him to try, but my intention is to go this route...i am 11 miles from the mill, and can buy direct.

hope this helps,

mike

also want to add...this year, it seems as though mwp's has gone as far as putting a lot number sticker on each bag...to keep track of the mix, or quality?

buy a few bags and try them before you make a big purchase of them.

mike

mjbrown65 said:
last year was the first year of mwp's...they had a bad reputation at the start, due to a poor grade of pellets. the plant worked consistantly thru out the year to improve , and went as far as replacing pellets or refunding monies.

this year, they have improved quite a bit. i just hauled and put away 3 ton for my dad, and on opening his first bag, they looked very good. nice uniform length, 80-20 hardwood/softwood,and quite shiny. i may buy a couple bags off him to try, but my intention is to go this route...i am 11 miles from the mill, and can buy direct.

hope this helps,

mike

also want to add...this year, it seems as though mwp's has gone as far as putting a lot number sticker on each bag...to keep track of the mix, or quality?

Thanks, Mike, your reply is very helpful. I think your suggestion to buy a few bags and test it out first is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.