Maine Woods Pellets 2009 2010 report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dperk

Jan 8, 2010
New Vineyard, Maine
This years batch has been very good to us. 248 a ton delivered direct from the company in Athens, Me. Ash and Heat are the same as the Laurezon pellets that we paid 299 a ton and had to pick up ourselves. 5 tons in and not a bad bag so far, the only complaint is that the pallets couldn't be double stacked to save space, unlike the others in the past. For some reason they are uneven and resulted in a unsafe leaning stack. I don't know how they could fix that, but pellets are good, and we like the fact that the are made in Maine, right up the road in Athens, helping our local economy. Ash<1% Fines<.5% Sodium<300PPM

While I must say that I have never tried Cubex and have never heard of Laurezon I am currently working through 4 tons of Maine Woods I bought back in March and I'm not sure if this is their 1st batch or the improved 2nd run. I bought them back when we all ( or at least quite a few people) thought there was still going to be a shortage this year and prices were quite high in my area (anywhere from $260-$320/ton). I found these at a local shop for $229/ton. They let me HAVE a bag to try before I bought them and they seemed ok, looking back with a little more experience in burning I wish I had tried them when it was much colder. In march here in VT the temps are warming but still cold enough to need the stove. I would say it got down around mid 30's in the evening. The one bag I tried seemed ok so I bought 4 tons, enough to get me through the winter.

Now, fast forward to January and I have burned at least 3 tons through my Harman and here are my thoughts. The heat is ok, when I turn my stove to high it cranks out heat but I have had to run it on higher settings than last year to get the same heat I got with Premiers from TSC. The BIGGEST difference I have noticed is the amount of ASH. OMG is there a ton of ash with these pellets. My stove manual tells me I should be able to burn a Ton of pellets before emptying the ash pan. I know that's just an estimate but last season it was pretty accurate. This year I am emptying my ash pan about every 2 weeks. Matter of fact I have to do it today and I just did it 13 days ago. The ash, as you know also is a pain when it gets into my heat exchangers as it cuts down the heat transfer ( I think anyway, they told me when they installed my stove that when the exchangers get coated with ash it was like putting R20 (i think) insulation in there).

The other issue I have had is a large amount of Carbon buildup in my burn pot. I seem to be cleaning it out and scraping it down way more than I should have to.

I don't mind any of this by the way, I have really taken an interest in maintaing and keeping my stove as clean as possible. It's kinda turned into a hobby for me in the winter months. I don't ski, snowboard or snowmobile so I basically hibernate in the winter. This has given me something to do. I would have to agree with BTU on this one, they are a good middle of the road pellet that I got a good deal on at the time.

These are my thoughts but I am glad they work well for you!

Glad to see some one posted on Maine Woods, other than the western Maine area. I would say more credible.

IMHO, and I am not from Maine. I thought they really improved from last year. But matching them up against the Cubex is a very large stretch for me. Cubex is a 100% Oak pellet. Oak is the hottest burning hardwood there is and Cubex nails the quality year in and out. The Maine woods are very much in the decent range overall. If my only choices was a Maine made pellet. I still would pick the Maine Choice as the clear winner.

My 1 ton of Maine Woods is almost gone, 5 bags left. Wish the 19 bags of Corinth that I've still got were Maine Woods instead, but oh, well. 119 of the Maine Choice left, definitely the best of the three, supposed to have a couple cold nights coming tonight and tomorrow night, filled up with the Maine Choice when i filled it today. Been swapping back and forth all winter, maybe too much. When we get to March and April I'll only have good pellets left to burn. Sux to be me, I guess

I am not an expert, nor am I a distributer trying to promote my product, or products, I am simply a person who has burned pellets going on my 5th season. The reason I stated that Maine Woods Pellets were the same as the other was based on the very simple premise that consumption is the same, the ash level is the same or better, and the temperature in our house is same or better as the other Larezon(please forgive my misspelling) pellets. Very unscientific for sure but that is just my observation based on my working experience with these products.

dperkins said:
I am not an expert, nor am I a distributer trying to promote my product, or products, I am simply a person who has burned pellets going on my 5th season. The reason I stated that Maine Woods Pellets were the same as the other was based on the very simple premise that consumption is the same, the ash level is the same or better, and the temperature in our house is same or better as the other Larezon(please forgive my misspelling) pellets. Very unscientific for sure but that is just my observation based on my working experience with these products.

Please don't take my post the wrong way. I am going on my second season of burning and frankly am still quite new at it. I too was just giving my obeservations. I have learned since joining this forum that no two pellets burn the same and there are several factors that go into heat output, not the least of which being the type of stove you have.

I really have no complaint about the Maine woods other than the amount of ash they create.

dperkins said:

Your saving $51.00 a ton and they are keeping your house warm. They are working for you and That's all that matters.

Stay warm

The Linkletter Boys said they are still using the whole tree , bark & all, and that is why there will always be alot of ash. That said, i will never go back to those pellets. My Maine Choice pellets from Strong are great & when they rebuild i will certainly purchase those again. But again, the Maine Athens , no way . The reason they are priced so low is because they use the whole tree. This is by their own admission & so is the abundance of ask. Muss

dperkins said:
This years batch has been very good to us. 248 a ton delivered direct from the company in Athens, Me. Ash and Heat are the same as the Laurezon pellets that we paid 299 a ton and had to pick up ourselves. 5 tons in and not a bad bag so far, the only complaint is that the pallets couldn't be double stacked to save space, unlike the others in the past. For some reason they are uneven and resulted in a unsafe leaning stack. I don't know how they could fix that, but pellets are good, and we like the fact that the are made in Maine, right up the road in Athens, helping our local economy. Ash<1% Fines<.5% Sodium<300PPM

What stove are you burning?

I burned 6+ tons of Athens from the September of 2008 through December of 2009, they were from two separate runs and the difference in quality was like night and day, but even then the ash content of the second batch was just under the 1% mark, it looked like the ash content from the first batch I had was slightly over 3% my stove can burn standard grade pellets provided the ash isn't so dense it doesn't easily eject from the burn pot which it sure was on that first batch.

I will try a few bags of Athens later on before determining what to get for next year.

Until then I take any report on Athens as provisional and subject to personal verification, after all they did call that first batch premium as well.

[quote author="BTU" date="1264206097"]With all due respect, it will be a very frosty Friday when you try to convince me or anyone else for that matter that a Maine's Wood Pellet is equal to OR better than a Cubex 100% oak pellet. Not only have I never heard any reputable dealer tell me

hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
With all due respect, it will be a very frosty Friday when you try to convince me or anyone else for that matter that a Maine's Wood Pellet is equal to OR better than a Cubex 100% oak pellet. Not only have I never heard any reputable dealer tell me
Yesterday was Friday, and it was pretty frosty here, BTU.

I've never had a chance to try the Maine Choice... But I've Okies and Maine Woods Pellets in my XXV. My unscientific observation is that the MWP are every bit as warm as the Okies and may even be a bit hotter. Although I can't be sure of it seems, possibly due to pellet sizes, I tend to get more burn time out of a bag than the Okies on Stove mode. However, the MWP are clearly higher ash and dirty the glass faster. But comparing BTU's per dollar (based on Twin Ports Testing analysis), MWP are more cost effective if you don't mind cleaning and don't have a picky stove.

Maine Woods…224 °F …ash content… .65% or 132% more ash than the Okies
Okies…262 °F ….ash content… .275% and 16.96% more heat than the MWP

I am not trying to be confrontational, but could you list the origin of your facts. For the record I am not nor have I ever been a distributer of any wood pellet company and I have read TPA reports. Just my .02

We sell cubex, MW and Okies brands, and I can attest that MW is not as good as Cubex or Okies.. that being said, the MW are MUCH improved over last yr. Still a little more than avg ash, but way better than the clinkers and buckshot found in previous batches. We run them in a VF170, and a P43 at the shop, and our Lopi pioneer will do them as well, albiet with a little more attention. Brands like Cubex, Okies, Barefoot (as I can now also attest too), will be a better performer, but for those looking for a pellet @ 240/ton +/- MW will do. I like them better than the corinth brand by a bit.. they are not as pretty, but do about as well, if not better.

BTU said:
Bobforsaken said:
I've never had a chance to try the Maine Choice... But I've Okies and Maine Woods Pellets in my XXV. My unscientific observation is that the MWP are every bit as warm as the Okies and may even be a bit hotter . Although I can't be sure of it seems, possibly due to pellet sizes, I tend to get more burn time out of a bag than the Okies on Stove mode. However, the MWP are clearly higher ash and dirty the glass faster. But comparing BTU's per dollar (based on Twin Ports Testing analysis), MWP are more cost effective if you don't mind cleaning and don't have a picky stove.

Sorry, but I can't buy that...not even close. See based on the testing we have done and the data I have access too, the Maine Woods are on average 15% cooler and are discounted 5% for excess ash therefore only having a "value" of 80% of our product. Another words, if you can buy Maine Woods for 80% of what the Okies cost you then you are getting equal value. I have formulas’ like this for over 40 pellets sold in the New England area, so trust me when I tell you I know what I am talking about. I know my competition, who has a good product and who doesn't.

Now in your case, you may have to adjust your stove, give it a good cleaning or check your unscientific observation again, because with all due respect it will be a frosty day in Hawaii before a Maine's Wood pellet will produce more heat than the Okies all things being equal... Now the fact that you even mentioned Twin Ports tells me you are either a vendor of Maine Woods or have some sort of interest in them, because I don't believe I have ever given a 3rd party analysis to anyone other than a dealer. That just isn't something the general public ever asks for. For that matter 1 in maybe 25 dealers even ask for it...so Bobforsaken are you involved with Maine's Wood in some way?...Enquiring minds would like to know........ : Coolsmirk:

PS…even based on Jay’s findings it’s not even close

Maine Woods...224 °F …ash content… .65% or 132% more ash than the Okies
Okies…262 °F ….ash content... .275% and 16.96% more heat than the MWP

I'm just a Maine Resident with a stove. I did some research looking into what I can purchase in Maine that is good. . I don't doubt that you are correct that the Oki's are statistically hotter which is why I stressed that it was an unscientific observation that the MWP seemed every bit as hot.

But statistically, The okies claim to have 8800 BTU's per lb http://www.okanaganpellets.com/okanagan/ I've never seen the Twin Ports testing to verify.. but lets for the sake of argument say that its 8800. I found a twin ports testing report game from http://www.pelletsnow.com/ and a few months ago they had the PDF's on their website and the BTU per lb based on the testing was less than the Okies.. I seem to recall it being right around 8000BTU's (this year's batch)... Call it 7900 BTU's.. Since I could get MWP for $240... In order for Oki's to deliver the same BTU's per Dollar Oki's would need to be 8800*240/7900= $267. Since Okies cost me $289, the MWP was a better value. If you want to think I'm being disingenuous, then why don't you look at my previous posts where I was asking for advice on what Maine based company I should buy from to support the local economy.

dperkins said:

I am not trying to be confrontational, but could you list the origin of your facts. For the record I am not nor have I ever been a distributer of any wood pellet company and I have read TPA reports. Just my .02

Jay's analysis is great and very valuable. I'm trying to find the date of the batch however. if it was 2008/2009 MWP and not the 2009/2010 pellets that could be a major difference since there is a consensus that they have improved dramatically. Even if the test was done in 2009, was it new stock at the Agway or not?

Jay, can you clarify?

And for clarification of my facts.. claimed any facts.. I just said that they seemed every bit as hot as the Okies.. Observation only. As for what may be considered facts regarding cost effectiveness.. I explained my rational above in a response to BTU.

That was not the 2008 batch, nor was it the 2008/2009 batch that jay posted test results from and looking at the ash I think it was the third go round for MWP. I haven't heard of a forth major change in their operation. I won't be looking at things from there until later this year. I'm sure Jay will chime in at some point.

I too would like to keep my money working in this state, however I also don't want to have to keep an eye on the stove all the time.

I bought the stove to provide heat and not to consume my time keeping it going.

I like to hunt, garden, make pickles and preserves, raise a few chickens, and play on the interwebby, etc ... instead.

I believe that is called living.

BTU said:
Bobforsaken said:
BTU said:
Bobforsaken said:
I've never had a chance to try the Maine Choice... But I've Okies and Maine Woods Pellets in my XXV. My unscientific observation is that the MWP are every bit as warm as the Okies and may even be a bit hotter . Although I can't be sure of it seems, possibly due to pellet sizes, I tend to get more burn time out of a bag than the Okies on Stove mode. However, the MWP are clearly higher ash and dirty the glass faster. But comparing BTU's per dollar (based on Twin Ports Testing analysis), MWP are more cost effective if you don't mind cleaning and don't have a picky stove.

Sorry, but I can't buy that...not even close. See based on the testing we have done and the data I have access too, the Maine Woods are on average 15% cooler and are discounted 5% for excess ash therefore only having a "value" of 80% of our product. Another words, if you can buy Maine Woods for 80% of what the Okies cost you then you are getting equal value. I have formulas’ like this for over 40 pellets sold in the New England area, so trust me when I tell you I know what I am talking about. I know my competition, who has a good product and who doesn't.

Now in your case, you may have to adjust your stove, give it a good cleaning or check your unscientific observation again, because with all due respect it will be a frosty day in Hawaii before a Maine's Wood pellet will produce more heat than the Okies all things being equal... Now the fact that you even mentioned Twin Ports tells me you are either a vendor of Maine Woods or have some sort of interest in them, because I don't believe I have ever given a 3rd party analysis to anyone other than a dealer. That just isn't something the general public ever asks for. For that matter 1 in maybe 25 dealers even ask for it...so Bobforsaken are you involved with Maine's Wood in some way?...Enquiring minds would like to know........ : Coolsmirk:

PS…even based on Jay’s findings it’s not even close

Maine Woods...224 °F …ash content… .65% or 132% more ash than the Okies
Okies…262 °F ….ash content... .275% and 16.96% more heat than the MWP

I'm just a Maine Resident with a stove. I did some research looking into what I can purchase in Maine that is good. . I don't doubt that you are correct that the Oki's are statistically hotter which is why I stressed that it was an unscientific observation that the MWP seemed every bit as hot.

But statistically, The okies claim to have 8800 BTU's per lb http://www.okanaganpellets.com/okanagan/ I've never seen the Twin Ports testing to verify.. but lets for the sake of argument say that its 8800. I found a twin ports testing report game from http://www.pelletsnow.com/ and a few months ago they had the PDF's on their website and the BTU per lb based on the testing was less than the Okies.. I seem to recall it being right around 8000BTU's (this year's batch)... Call it 7900 BTU's.. Since I could get MWP for $240... In order for Oki's to deliver the same BTU's per Dollar Oki's would need to be 8800*240/7900= $267. Since Okies cost me $289, the MWP was a better value. If you want to think I'm being disingenuous, then why don't you look at my previous posts where I was asking for advice on what Maine based company I should buy from to support the local economy.

Again I would have to respectfully disagree with you...How I judge the value between the two is do that head to head comparision again..

Heat and ash amount representing "value" and without going into all the math again...MWP is only 80% of the value of the Okies... So if you are paying $289 for them, then to get same value for the Maine's you have to buy them for $229.78 or better... But since you are paying $240, I would argue you are over paying $11 for them.

As far as supporting a Maine company, the owner and staff of the retailer you are buying them from (again I'm assuming you buy your pellets in Maine) and the truckers that haul for us would state you are supporting a Maine company regardless of whose product you buy..Same for the gas station that trucker will probably use to fuel his truck....those qualify as Maine companies too... I don't think you are being disingenuous at all...just mis-informed and spending time on this forum is one of the best educations the buying public can get learning about their stoves and fuel to make them better comsumers.

I'm not sure what you mean by Heat and Ash amount representing "value". I've said throughout my post that the Ash of the MWP is much higher. I"m comparing heat for dollar vs heat for dollar. 8800/x = 7900/240 x= 267 <289 for OKI. If your calculation of Value includes some type of metric for Ash, then its not a "value" that is meaningful to me personally at this time.. Since my personal budget is tight, I'm more concerned with heating my house for less money than how infrequently I need to clean. In the future as my financial situation changes, I may be more inclined to agree with your Value estimate.

As for supporting the Maine economy... I understand your rational.... but Maine needs production jobs right now.. and MWP has been slammed because of their poor start in the industry (and rightfully so). I'm supporting Maine pellet producers so I can support the pellet producing industry in Maine to encourage future competition between Maine Choice, Corinth, and MWP. (and therefore lower cost in the future) At this time MWP needed more help, IMO

Bobforsaken said:
dperkins said:

Jay's analysis is great and very valuable. I'm trying to find the date of the batch however. if it was 2008/2009 MWP and not the 2009/2010 pellets that could be a major difference since there is a consensus that they have improved dramatically. Even if the test was done in 2009, was it new stock at the Agway or not?

Jay, can you clarify?

And for clarification of my facts.. claimed any facts.. I just said that they seemed every bit as hot as the Okies.. Observation only. As for what may be considered facts regarding cost effectiveness.. I explained my rational above in a response to BTU.

bobforsaken,

The batch I tested was Sept 2009. I was very impressed on there improvement's from the previous year. It is definitly a better pellet now.

As web said, My test is a snap shot of one batch! There are batch variance factor's. There is also the stove factor too. We may all see different results in our testing of different brands. I have tried to let my stove pick my pellets for me. My test was more to show how I compare brands and have always said everyone should compare them in there own stoves. YMMV as they say.

I wouldn't get all flustered about this. If the Mainewoods are burning good for you then I say burn them. Let your stove be the judge of what pellets are good or bad! Not some smuck testing pellets in his basement!

happy burning
jay

I'd just like to say you folks up in Maine are getting killed as far as pellet prices go. I just grabbed a ton of Okies for $249 this morning in Mass.

SXIPro said:
I'd just like to say you folks up in Maine are getting killed as far as pellet prices go. I just grabbed a ton of Okies for $249 this morning in Mass.

Just another reason to buy local, and support local jobs.

SXIPro said:

It's not JUST pellet prices, we're kinda the end of the line. Check my sig for what I'm burnin', my furnace will burn most anything, I WOULD like to burn a pellet with less ash, but gotta do what I can in state.

SXIPro said:

Where?

SXIPro said:

because it costs that much more to truck 'em up to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.