Mainer Newbie in Need of Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesselee

Sep 3, 2008
Maine
Hi

I am brand new here and could really use some help. We're late in the game for a pellet stove and have recently started looking around. One dealer today told me that he really liked Napoleons, he didn't have any in and couldn't get any but he like those the best. Someone else told me Quadrafires are the way to go but they couldn't guarantee one until next year. We live in Maine so we need something sooner than later. So I've been looking at Napoleons and have found the NPS40 online. Has anyone ever used one of these stoves? What did you think? I liked the size, we have two young boys and thought it would be easier to gate in.

OK here is my newbieness shining through, I saw the Pellet Stove Outside Air Kit in the options, should I get this? What else do I need beside the hearth pad? Thank you so much for you help! Jesse

Jesselee said:
OK here is my newbieness shining through, I saw the Pellet Stove Outside Air Kit in the options, should I get this? What else do I need beside the hearth pad? Thank you so much for you help! Jesse
LOL! Opened a can of worms with that one. The easy question is the Napoleon one - there are a bunch of Napoleon burners here so you should get good advice from them. The OAK is a whole 'nother story. It's like religion - you'll find all manner of opinions and a lot of (pseudo) science supporting each position. Do a search on OAK or outside air kit and take a read thru.

(I'm in the not using an OAK camp myself)

unfortunately i think your getting into the game way too late Jesselee, there are some dealers with stove but they are very hard to find these days.

i think the best place to start it home depot and lowes, they could possibly have some in stock, every dealer with napolien's are out till next year. but you could call selco on lisbon st in lewiston to see if they have some there.

go to BUY THE FIRE in oxford maine its across the street from oxford fire station or call
1-207-539-9930 there a quadrafire dealer thats where i bought mine 08/09/08
very helpful, donald ferry knows pellet stoves

j00fek, how do you like your NPS40? I have found someone who has a few, I just couldn't find any reviews on this stove.

firestarter, did they have any instock or did you order yours? A dealer told me yesterday that the quadrafires that were suppose to arrive in August weren't arriving until November.

Jesselee said:
j00fek, how do you like your NPS40? I have found someone who has a few, I just couldn't find any reviews on this stove.

firestarter, did they have any instock or did you order yours? A dealer told me yesterday that the quadrafires that were suppose to arrive in August weren't arriving until November.

he had mine in stock 2699.00, before you say it they all went up in price

Lots of pellets stoves in stock - or close to being in stock - and available.

There is no "best" pellet stove, rather there are different features and prices depending on your budget. One thing that you need to know, however, is that pellet stoves need cleaning and service. Can you fix a stove yourself (electricals, motors, controls, etc.) if it breaks? If not. make certain that you buy from a local dealer with a service dept. If you feel comfortable doing your own work (in and out of warranty), then you can certainly dig around at the home centers and internet sites.

In general, the home centers carry US Stove and Englander. Internet sites also carry these, as well as Napoleon, Breckwell and some others..

It's not cold yet!

Jesselee said:
Hi

I am brand new here and could really use some help. We're late in the game for a pellet stove and have recently started looking around. One dealer today told me that he really liked Napoleons, he didn't have any in and couldn't get any but he like those the best. Someone else told me Quadrafires are the way to go but they couldn't guarantee one until next year. We live in Maine so we need something sooner than later. So I've been looking at Napoleons and have found the NPS40 online. Has anyone ever used one of these stoves? What did you think? I liked the size, we have two young boys and thought it would be easier to gate in.

Last week Osborne's Plumbing and Heating in Bucksport had 5 Napoleons in stock, 14 more coming in in Sept.

THANKS Burning Chunk! I checked out their website, nice price on that stove. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

xpellet freakx said:
go to BUY THE FIRE in oxford maine its across the street from oxford fire station or call
1-207-539-9930 there a quadrafire dealer thats where i bought mine 08/09/08
very helpful, donald ferry knows pellet stoves

Did he have Mt Vernon's? And do they provide maintainence? I see they his shop is not factory trained by Quadrafire, does that matter?

you need to call the owner and ask ,i know he's the regional parts distributer for quadrafire [HHT]

Affordable Heating Systems is a new store in Augusta. They just had a truckload of Napoleons delivered a week ago.(207-624-1802). They also have plenty Of Athens Pellets........

xpellet freakx said:
Jesselee said:

he had mine in stock 2699.00, before you say it they all went up in price

Wow.....I guess they have. I had mine installed last Jan. 8th.....the stove price was $2199.00 for Quad Castille

I wanted to thank everyone for their help, I went to Osborne’s Plumbing and Heating in Bucksport today and picked up my Napoleon . They have one Napoleon left.

Also I was talking to my husband's uncle who works at Marden's in Waterville and he said they have Englanders there for $999. I haven't been there myself but I thought I'd pass the news along.

Jesselee said:
I wanted to thank everyone for their help, I went to Osborne’s Plumbing and Heating in Bucksport today and picked up my Napoleon . They have one Napoleon left.

Also I was talking to my husband's uncle who works at Marden's in Waterville and he said they have Englanders there for $999. I haven't been there myself but I thought I'd pass the news along.

Wow, makes me feel good that I actually helped somebody out on this forum. Being new to this myself, I'm here more to get it than to give, hope the Napoleon works out for ya. BTW, did ya tell 'em I sent ya, maybe I can get a discount on some stuff.

Jesselee, Congratulations, welcome to the club. Now that you have your stove a lot of answers will be provided for you in the manual. Such as requirements for OAK( if needed), R value and size of hearth...etc. I can send you a link to hook into the N.F.P.A.( National Fire Protection Agency's handbook) and save you $38 by not having to buy it. It is a marginal reference in my opinion, but it's free to view on line and does no allow your puter to copy any of it. http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=211&cookie_test=1 .....just answer yes to all the questions and it will let you in for free.

If anyone is looking for an NPS40...the guy I bought mine from has more coming in in Oct/Nov. I paid 2100 for the stove/outside air kit/vent kit including tax. Let me know and I will forward his info...he is in Schenectady NY and the delivery site is in Hudson NY. They can deliver to you but it will cost about $250 more.

Another new user...I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe on order since June. Dealer keeps saying "August, October, now November delivery. I found a Napolean MPS 40 today and this dealer has it in stock and can install as early as next week. Are the users on this link satisfied with their MPS 40's? How does it compare to the QuadraFire Santa Fe? Any help would be GREATLY apreciated as I'd like to order it before he sells out, too!!

bobolink said:
Another new user...I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe on order since June. Dealer keeps saying "August, October, now November delivery. I found a Napolean MPS 40 today and this dealer has it in stock and can install as early as next week. Are the users on this link satisfied with their MPS 40's? How does it compare to the QuadraFire Santa Fe? Any help would be GREATLY apreciated as I'd like to order it before he sells out, too!!

Not to be picky, but I think you mean NPS 40. Try doing a search for this, and if nothing shows up, start a new thread with the model number in the title....you're kinda buried here at the end of this thread.....not many people will see it. Just my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to the site...lots of good people and good info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.