Maine's Choice pellet density

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotech

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2010
NE
I tried some Maine's Choice and noticed that the pellet density seems to be less than any other pellets I have tried. If you break a pellet in two, it kind of crumbles with a bunch of small pieces. Not a clean snap like most pellets. There are a lot of small pellet bits in the bag like that. They aren't fines but sort of like big fines. Is it because the pellet mill just doesn't produce enough pressure to get the density?

I am finding the same. I burned them when the mill started up before the explosion and liked them.
I just bought 4 tons for A good price, and they are not like the original maines Choice. The pellets are crumbly and dusty. Lots of saw dust in the bags and a lot of crumbs like not enough compression in the hammer
Mill process. More ash than the originals too. Are they turning these into a sub standard box store pellet to try and
Push their new dealer exclusive hard wood pellet? Very disappointed.

Probably has an above average moisture content. Pellets with alot of moisture left in them usually crumble fairly easy.

CJ-SR4ever said:
Probably has an above average moisture content. Pellets with alot of moisture left in them usually crumble fairly easy.
I will check the moisture content this weekend.

Last season I burnt approximately 3 tons on Maine Choice (bought pre plant explosion) they were a much better pellet. They burned ok with a so so ash residue.
A few weeks ago I purchased 25 bags to save my Okies stash, and found that the bags were loaded with pellets broken into small pieces.
I bought these pellets at Lowe's and thought it was just the the store mishandelling the bags.

Think I will stay clear of the Maine Choice for a while and try some of the supposidly improved Maine Woods (Athens) pellets.

Wood Nugget said:
CJ-SR4ever said:

How do you check the MC of a wood pellet? I could check the ones I have. The bag says less than 6% MC. The pellets look more like pellet bits.

smalltown said:
Last season I burnt approximately 3 tons on Maine Choice (bought pre plant explosion) they were a much better pellet. They burned ok with a so so ash residue.
A few weeks ago I purchased 25 bags to save my Okies stash, and found that the bags were loaded with pellets broken into small pieces.
I bought these pellets at Lowe's and thought it was just the the store mishandelling the bags.

Think I will stay clear of the Maine Choice for a while and try some of the supposidly improved Maine Woods (Athens) pellets.
I thought it was mishandling myself, until I broke
Into the full pallets. Bunk.

I just bought 6 tons of Maine's choice to get me through next season. I've only burned Maine's choice since I bought my stove in January. I haven't noticed any change in quality yet in the new batch. I feel they burn nice. Hopefully that doesn't change once I get into the new ones. Oh well. Too late now. :)

Hello

Yes, I got 2.5 tons for next year also just before the price increase. They do not crumble that easily, I must have a good batch. However they are not quite as hard as my Logic-e (PWI brand) from Canada but for $209 per ton or $4.18 per bag I am not complaining. They burn fine in my stove!

See new price below!!

Attachments

• WPMainesChoiceNewPriceSC.jpg
    WPMainesChoiceNewPriceSC.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 440
  • WPMaineChoiceSC.jpg
    WPMaineChoiceSC.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 449
turbotech said:
Wood Nugget said:
CJ-SR4ever said:

How do you check the MC of a wood pellet? I could check the ones I have. The bag says less than 6% MC. The pellets look more like pellet bits.
1, place 1/2 cup pellets in a GLASS not plastic bowl.
2, cover the bowl with a saucer to make moderately airtight
3, nuke them in microwave for about 45 sec, to 1 minute.
4, immediately when finished heating remove the saucer and tip it up vertically, look for moisture on the bottom of the saucer, there should be a little, if enough is present to allow it to run down the bottom of the saucer, they have excessive moisture and probably will not burn optimally. (from mike @ England stove works).

I bought 5 tons last fall and found quite a difference among them. Some were light colored and full of sawdust, the others were much darker and not a lot of sawdust. I heard they had problems with one of the screens getting clogged and it wasn't discovered until they had run a bunch through. Also have had a problem with finding bolts in them. I will be using something else next year. Tried calling the company a month ago, never got back to me.

These seem lighter colored compared to Greene Teams, Lignetics, and Fireside Ultras. I think they will burn OK, but there is just a lot of tiny pellet bits so if anything they will probably burn hot and fast because the density coming from the auger will be high without a significant amount of air gaps. They just seem less dense and break easy with lots of tiny bits.
It looks like where they are manufactured has a high amount of Fir trees. Since it is a blend I am guessing it is mostly Spruce and some hardwood like Birch or Sugar Maple.
I hope the bolts are at least good quality grade 8.

EDIT: from Fir to Spruce

I have seen that Geneva has gone to chipping logs for fiber. Chips have there own issues if not screened small enough. Saw dust mackes the best pellets as it compresses easily. Chips don't compress well.

If your all finding low density? I would suggest emailing them and see if they can get this straightened out.

I have a local guy that just started selling them, I'll see if he can spot me a few bags along with the new super premiums that there making. I give them a density check an post a review if the weather doesn't change to warmth to quickly.

I hope the pellet quality doesn't have anything to do with this: http://woodpelletsnews.com/index.ph...-osha-penalties&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Where can I find an email address to send to? Geneva wood doesn't seem like they want to be contacted in terms of not putting their info out there. It is like night and day of how Greene Team operates their company. GT will go out of their way to get you info, and Geneva hides under a rock.

Thank you. I feel dumb. I should have been able to find that, but for some reason couldn't. Must be one of those days. The test results they post from 11/17/2010 show only 4.51% MC.

metal content.....that is funny.

I looked at the website and saw this picture of the logs: http://genevapellets.com/pellet_quality.html
I have only been around one de-barker and no way would it work properly to debark tiny logs (sticks) like shown in the picture. How well does the Geneva machine debark logs like that which are small and twisted (non-sawmill ready)?
Maybe that is why the pellets break so easily? Bark in the pellet would cause that.
I would love to do a field trip to a pellet mill and see how the equipment works.
I thought the premium Maine's Choice bag was a blend, but the website says 100% hardwood.

And how does he red machine with the 4 simultaneous logs being fed into it debark the logs all at the same time before being chipped? Almost seems impossible to de-bark them unless each is spun individually.

turbotech said:
I hope the pellet quality doesn't have anything to do with this: http://woodpelletsnews.com/index.ph...-osha-penalties&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Where can I find an email address to send to? Geneva wood doesn't seem like they want to be contacted in terms of not putting their info out there. It is like night and day of how Greene Team operates their company. GT will go out of their way to get you info, and Geneva hides under a rock.

Published Mar 09, 2010 so its kind of old news. Most osha fines get nixed or reduced if they are corrected in a certain amount of time.

Has anyone ever sent a purchased bag of pellets out for testing to a place like University of Maine (tested MWP on their website) or twinportstesting.com (tested Maine's Choice on their website)?
I wonder how a random sampled purchased bag differs from what was sent by the manufacturer?

The bags i got from Agway recently seemed fine and put out good heat - but they put out much more ash than my usual - Hamer. good news is that the hamer's are back in stock at Agway.

turbotech said:
Has anyone ever sent a purchased bag of pellets out for testing to a place like University of Maine (tested MWP on their website) or twinportstesting.com (tested Maine's Choice on their website)?
I wonder how a random sampled purchased bag differs from what was sent by the manufacturer?

Its pricey from what I hear, But I forgot the actual dollar amount. I said "WOW" though! Maybe even "OUCH" too!

This is the reason why we are supposed to have PFI labeling, But they don't do random spot checks! So the mills can work around it and send in a good sample for testing. Then they can market what they feel like. The very reason I do my own spot checks. I have caught some out of spec junk and blow my a whistle. Got me in some hot water too!

A quick density check should do. See if you can find a 12x12x12(1 cubic foot) box. The whole bag should fit in it. If you can get it all in its under spec! 40 to 46 lbs for a premium pellet.

I looked it up and found the same thing and that it is expensive.

I don't understand why they say they debark the logs when the picture on the "pellet quality" pages clearly shows whole logs with bark on them being chipped. If those chips are made into wood pellets then that would explain why the pellets break into tiny bits.

The Maine's Choice bag states "Hardwood Blend" and the website says "100% Hardwood". Is that supposed to mean a blend of different species hardwood or a hardwood/softwood blend? Seems like a fair amount of discontinuities and unknowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.