Maines' Choice Pellets and Maine Woods Pellets....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy_Boy

Sep 13, 2011
Lakes Region NH
I hear lots of reviews of Maine Woods pellets but never hear much about Maine's Choice pellets on here. Are people getting the two confused and calling them all Maine Woods? I read the pricing reports for my area and I have gone to some places and found not Maine Woods but Maine Choice. They are two different companys as far as I can tell unless I'm mistaken. Does anyone prefer one to the other that has tried both. I tried a ton of the Maine Woods blend about 3 years ago and wasn't too happy with them, very low heat and tons and tons of fines. Any input from someone that has tried Maines Choice?

I like the Maines Choice a little more than MWP....I suggest buying both and comparing. Give MWP another shot. Sounds like their quality is vastly improved from three years ago.

I hear lots of reviews of Maine Woods pellets but never hear much about Maine's Choice pellets on here. Are people getting the two confused and calling them all Maine Woods? I read the pricing reports for my area and I have gone to some places and found not Maine Woods but Maine Choice. They are two different companys as far as I can tell unless I'm mistaken. Does anyone prefer one to the other that has tried both. I tried a ton of the Maine Woods blend about 3 years ago and wasn't too happy with them, very low heat and tons and tons of fines. Any input from someone that has tried Maines Choice?
I doubt people are mixing them up. Both are fairly well known. MWP are made by the Maine Woods Pellet Co in Athens. Maine Choice is made by Geneva Wood Fuels in Strong. Generally MWP gets better reviews here than Maine Choice, but like already mentioned, try out a few bags of each before picking up a ton.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you burned MWP 3 years ago you were burning a product that doesn't compare to their current product. It was absolute garbage, and they couldn't give it away. Much better pellet now.

IMO, last years MC were very ashy. Good heat but I was emptying the ash pan every 8 bags and scraping the beard off every hour at most. I tried 1 bag of MWP blend and ended up buying 200 more. They're not the best I've burned but VASTLY superior.

I've burt both. They are very similar, but I give the edge to MWP. They both have more ash than I like and not the high heat of a good quality pellet.
With low prices for the MWP $3.98 a bag at Wally World I burn them when outside temps are not that cold. When the outside temperature takes a nose dive I switch to a low ash high heat pellet such as Okies.

The MWP works fine all winter long for me.

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.