Maintenance day for the BK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Well, I've rearranged my schedule a bit and have some free time today. I'm going to let the BK cool down and clean it out. I'll probably run the brush up the flue too. I've actually had to plan this sort of thing this year as the stove is never cold.

Warm weather is upon us! Good time for the cleaning.

I usually wait for that Jan thaw to do a mid season inspection but we have some nice warm temps outside so I let my Fireview burn out yesterday and vacuumed out the cat. Not much fly ash in the cat with this 3 year old Oak I'm burning and the chimney looked too clean up top to run a brush down.

cmonstart I hope you plan to hire a professional to do this work. :lol:

Todd is trying to shame me. We usually do our mid-season chimney cleanings around the same time every year and I think we were both going to go for skipping it this year. But I am gonna chicken out and do mine. I was up there the other day and it would be fine but it is gonna be near sixty Saturday before it turns cold again so what the heck. And if we have three feet of snow on the roof in February like last year I would drive myself nuts wondering what it looked like in that thing.

The one that will probably bite me in the butt is the basement flue. Since I only burn into it on really, really cold nights for the outside kitty that stays down there at night I haven't cleaned it in three seasons. It will probably light off some night and create some excitement. :red:

The only reason I did it this early is the stove was absolutely full of ashes and I had not cleaned my flue this year yet. I emptied the stove and the flue was very very clean. I ran the brush up anyway just because I had taken the time to take it apart.

Todd said:
I usually wait for that Jan thaw to do a mid season inspection but we have some nice warm temps outside so I let my Fireview burn out yesterday and vacuumed out the cat. Not much fly ash in the cat with this 3 year old Oak I'm burning and the chimney looked too clean up top to run a brush down.
Yep, same here. It's gonna be mid sixties tomorow before the next cold front blows in early sat. morn. so I guess I'll do my maintenance day early. Had to let stove go out for first time since nov. this morning, so I get a rare day or two off from the stove with this mini warmup, which is kinda nice actually. Haven't been up on the roof yet, but did inspect stove pipe and through the wall into my vertical masonry flu tonight and just had maybe a tablespoon of dry fine powder but i will probably go ahead and run the brush through everything tomorow anyway and vac. out the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.