Maintenance on Inserts??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
My FIL had a Enviro insert installed this winter. It went into a FP that was previously home to a heat form. My understanding is that the installer installed a stainless insulated flexible liner.
My question is what is needed for chimney sweeping on this setup. Does the Insert need to come out for the cleaning.

I have a Poly brush for my straight thru the roof duravent now but was thinking of buying a rotary whip type cleaner. Is there anything that i should know or buy to do his setup or should he just pay a chimney sweep?

I'm going from the manual here on page 43. It sounds like you don't need to move the insert for cleaning. You would remove the front secondary tube, then remove the c-cast baffles. That should give you a clean shot to the flue outlet.

I'm going from the manual here on page 43. It sounds like you don't need to move the insert for cleaning. You would remove the front secondary tube, then remove the c-cast baffles. That should give you a clean shot to the flue outlet.

FANTASTIC!!!

Have you used any of the rotary whip cleaners, i was thinking of this one....http://gardusinc.com/sooteater.html

Any thoughts or suggestions

Tried one for the first time this year. It is pretty easy to use. Just be patient and thorough. For your first cleaning it would be a good idea to pull the cap and look down the pipe from the top to see how you have been burning. That is if you can do this safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.