Majestic Thulman Wood Burning Fireplace with Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine Mitchell

Oct 20, 2013
WV
Hi,
We need some help. This house was built in 1961 with the fireplace probably being added around 1979 and the insert in 1985 according to the receipts we found. I have some of the literature but not for the "insert" - the receipt just says "Majestic parts and all misc. charges". The Model #'s we think we have are GEK-II and probably an ESF-II fireplace, the grate is a BG22 basket grate and the fans are FK-II fan kit. We just don't know what the "radiator looking" type insert is. I'm attaching pics. We developed holes in the "radiator" and we assumed that was the reason for the little bit of smoke starting to come out in the room last winter. We took it to a metal shop who attempted to mend it. We are now going to put it back together. The gasket was probably asbestos and very thin. See pics. We cannot find the proper type of gasket to install behind the insert. Any knowledge or help of this type of insert or where to find the gasket (or what type of gasket) would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas of whether or not the holes in the insert were actually the cause for the smoke in the room would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Christine from WV

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 2,919
  • gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,026
  • insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • insert inside.jpg
    insert inside.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 947
Hmmm, I think the fireplace in this case IS the insert?

Thulman Eastern invented the prefab fireplace in the 60's and Majestic was their brand name until it was purchased by CFM corp (at the time, the company that owned Vermont Castings).

To my knowledge they did not make fireplace inserts way back then...but rather entire prefab metal fireplaces. I assume this was was meant to heat a little bit more than the basic ones.

If it has a metal round chimney, then my guess is probably on the money....

Fiberglass or fiberflax type gaskets would probably work fine - you can find various such materials at McMaster-Carr web site if you dig around....

BUT, I should probably give you some relatively bad news! Prefab fireplaces of that era were designed for an approx 25-30 year life span - and assuming it's 1979 vintage, that would mean it was pretty much spent by 2010. Not to say it's impossible for them to be fixed or go longer, just that if it were mine I'd be looking hard into replacing the entire unit and chimney.

THanks for the reply. We are having a hard time finding the proper gasket. All we see if Door gasket. What temperatures do we need to be sure it will withstand with just burnign wood?

Thanks again...but both of those links take me to a page with 1201 products showing. I'm not sure why but I can't seem to find what you're referring to. It's just a general page titled "Selecting Thermal Insulation" with 1201 products showing. Can you tell me the product ID of the two you mentioned?

Thank you so much for taking the time to list those! For a wood burning fireplace, you did say that 1000 degrees F max temp would be sufficient for the rating, correct?

Thank you so much for taking the time to list those! For a wood burning fireplace, you did say that 1000 degrees F max temp would be sufficient for the rating, correct?

Yes, it would be glowing red before that temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.