Majestic zc with enviro fire insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
hello. Hoping to gain some insight on a installation I saw today.

This is a majestic mode, L36B factory built fireplace. It has a enviro fire 1600 insert installed into it and I'm looking for any info that can either confirm compatibility or confirm that it is not allowed. I've looked over the enviro 1600 insert part of the manual and I see no reference to installing into a ZC? I haven't found yet the manual for the majestic yet but I'm highly doubtful it's going to list the enviro fire as an approved insert to be installed in it? The people have the place opened up for renovations and I took a couple of pictures.

The enviro 1600 insert lists 28" clearance to combustible off the top and as I mentioned I only saw instructions for installation into a masonry fireplace.

It does have a full liner to the top.

Any info or thoughts appreciated.

IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1195.JPG

@begreen and @bholler as well as anyone else with thoughts on this. I was really hoping to hear some opinions on this.

It seems a no brainer to me and the only reason I asked about this is because this insert install as well as the upstairs fireplace which was another majestic ZC just passed an inspection that was a condition on the sale of this home. The inspector passed the upstairs fireplace, despite the Hearth having exposed wood between the slate and the fireplace front that was charred and burnt. Then he passed this basement install too, writing up both as masonry chimneys in his report. So based on what I found today it is going to hit the fan potentially for the inspector and realtors and owner and seller involved.

Now myself, I don't inspect and only clean and just noted the deficiency of the charred wood for the upstairs and the lack of any documentation to confirm the compliance of the install of the insert. Finding it highly unlikely that that enviro is listed for installation into that ZC.

Now the company that inspected this does tons of insurance inspections for solid fuel and I had their reports in my hands for both setups stating a masonry chimney. Mind boggling to me as I knew before I'd backed into the driveway and even put my truck in park that I was dealing with factory built chimneys just by the chase and caps I could see.

I could not find the manual for that model majestic either but I can all but gaurantee that it does not allow an insert to be installed in it. If it was me I would write it up as a non compliant install.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for the input. Yah I can't find the specific model manual. The (new)homeowner mentioned the house was about 40years old and she thought they were original? Pretty well done their useable life I'd think if they are that old?

I sure felt bad for her. She was upset, not at me, but still. The upstairs one that I neglected to get pictures of that had the charred/burnt wood where the slate meets the fireplace should've been found in the inspection for certain. I mean so many things were off on that inspection it was shocking to me. To mis id both fireplaces/chimneys as masonry? That's shoddy.

My full cert comes through in April and I won't be hesitating to take my piece of the inspection market here once I can secure insurance.

I sure felt bad for her. She was upset, not at me, but still. The upstairs one that I neglected to get pictures of that had the charred/burnt wood where the slate meets the fireplace should've been found in the inspection for certain. I mean so many things were off on that inspection it was shocking to me. To mis id both fireplaces/chimneys as masonry? That's shoddy.
Yeah I feel bad giving people news like that at times to but you have to do it.

My full cert comes through in April and I won't be hesitating to take my piece of the inspection market here once I can secure insurance.
Yeah we dont get many realestate inspections unless the buyer requests us. The realators dont want to hear the truth usually.

Reactions: Squisher
Yah the company that did the inspections is a inspection only company. No sales, installs, or cleaning. They have quite a large bit of insurance inspections. Up here the norm seems to be for a insurer to require a WETT level1 inspection every time a home changes hands or any solid fuel burning appliance is changed up. I've already liased with a few insurance reps to promote my cleaning service and lay the groundwork for my follow up that will come once my cert is through. Which is simply a matter of time, I've already aced the courses. So counting down the days to April 1st! Ha, I know. Aprils fool. Lol.

I don't kid myself that I have plenty to learn and will have to work extra hard to make up for my lack of experience. But the more I see in the field the stronger my resolve becomes that there's a need for someone who's not willing to cut corners and has a real interest in being diligent.

Reactions: T-roy_