majically appearing sugar in my steamer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedengineer

Nov 20, 2005
mentor(northeast), ohio
I have a cast iron steamer on top of my wood stove that I fill up twice a day. When I came home yesterday it was empty, but there was a layer of whiteish "stuff" under a layer of black "stuff" in the bottom of it. It smelled like carmel or sugar... a sweet smell. As I cleaned it out I tried to figure out what it was and I came up maybe it's some kind of fungus. Now this morning it still smells like this just not the layer of "stuff" at the bottom...yet. Anybody have this happen to them?

-Mike

Actually it's just city water. For a few weeks I was putting pieces of a plant that I bought at the florist (the name slips my mind) to add some good smell to the room, but I haven't done that in weeks. This "stuff" seems to have occured when the water runs low. Maybe it's just some of that plant's oils coming out of the cast iron.

-Mike

mikedengineer said:
Actually it's just city water. For a few weeks I was putting pieces of a plant that I bought at the florist (the name slips my mind) to add some good smell to the room, but I haven't done that in weeks. This "stuff" seems to have occured when the water runs low. Maybe it's just some of that plant's oils coming out of the cast iron.

-Mike

I would bet it's from the plant. If not the natural plant oils themselves, I would suspect that the florist uses one of many varieties of plant food or a preserving agent mixed in the water that the plants sit in, or are watered with.

Just like when you buy cut flowers and you get the little packet of stuff to mix in the water to keep the plants longer. My understanding is that most of them are composed primarily of sugar.

Willhound

I remember what the plant was, Eucaluptus. I put some leaves in. It smelled pretty good.
I'll just try cleaning it somehow.

Anthrax.... that's funny. Homeland security would probably be visiting me if that were true.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.