Major Creosot Built up, how should I clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDabate

Sep 14, 2008
Ellington, CT
Hi Guys,

I have some Major Creosote Build up in my EKO 25. Does anyone recommend a way that I can clean this off?

My system has really been working right the last few years, finally having a friend who knows what he's doing re pipe the whole system.

Superman,

I have a Eko 25, installed about the same time. From what I have gathered don't worry about the Creosote inside the upper burn chamber that is normal. Occasionally I use the cleaning tool and scrape the top and sides to get the loose stuff off. Personally I think the Creosote is the best rust proofing you can get for the off season!

If it's in the boiler I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in the pipe or chimney something isn't right and I'd clean it out and look into the cause.

My Econoburn 150 also has a nice layer of creosote in the upper chamber.
A bit of the crusty stuff sometimes falls out in the door area, so I often push it back in with my next stick of wood.
But the bottom chamber and the chimney are free of any creosote whatsoever.
That's the way it works.
Happy burning.

I agree Maplewood . I just clean the ash from my flue pipes and bottom chamber and keep on burning.

I used an EKO 40 for two years before I purchased and installed my effecta lambda 35 boiler.

In both boilers I witnessed the same look in the upper, primary chamber. After all, it is in this chamber where we heat the wood just enough to convert the biomass into hydrogen gas (and a few others). You should expect to see a layer of black/brown creosote all over the steel in the upper primary chamber.

Mr. Effecta

wantstoburnwood said:
I agree Maplewood . I just clean the ash from my flue pipes and bottom chamber and keep on burning.

Now that was a surprise to me. I didn't think that my flue pipe would start to fill with powder ash. There's a must-clean mid season! And while I have no creosote at all in my flue or chimney, I also have dust in my chimney clean out.

But it's a small price to pay for such an amazing heat maker!

Status
Not open for further replies.