Major Issues With My New St. Croix Hastings Pellet Stove, need advice!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fedup

Jan 6, 2009
northern maine
I just got my St. Croix Hastings Pellet Stove installed by my stove dealer in the beginning of October of 2008 and have only been running it full time since the end of October. It ran fine when we first got it. We have since discovered that the versa grate motor is leaking oil and informed our dealer of it and they told us just to use the motor until it no longer works before we get it replaced. The living room that the pellet stove is installed in is only 16ft by 12 ft. Since October 31st of 2008 our stove has failed to heat even the small room that it is installed in. I find myself wearing at least 2 thick long sleeved shirts and covered up to my chin with a quilt and I am still freezing even when the stove is run on level 4 all the time. The stove is shut down and thoroughly cleaned twice a week and the burn pot is scraped clean at least once a day. We have even tried several bags of different pellets that resulted in no change in the performance of the stove. We have also experienced our straight pipe that goes through the exterior wall of the house being completely clogged outside after only about 2 months of use. Do you think we have a problem with our stove? We are fed up with our stove and would appreciate any advice.

How many bags of pellets did you put through that stove before the "straight pipe" was clogged?

Your exhaust system should be checked more than just once a year. The frequency depends on how many bags of and what quality the pellets are.

High ash pellets require more frequent exhaust cleanings.

Please note that I know nothing that is specific to your stove just general things that are common between a lot of stoves.

Now about the temperature situation, how well is your building insulated?

Are you using an outside air kit?

Do you by any chance have the damper (if any) set incorrectly?

Do you have the air blower at the correct setting for the firing rate you are using?

Please explain exactly what you do when you clean your stove twice a week.

Your damper should only be open 1/4 inch or the width of a pencil.

I think your stove is plugged with ash. Behind the firebox is a double wall and the ash gets trapped behind that wall. When it gets plugged the stove will no longer heat efficiently.

Do your regular cleaning... the remove the two flaps that are on the back wall above the ash pan. Take a hammer and tap on the wall and you will find lots of ash falling out of the two ports that are covered by those flaps. You can probably get the stove up and running OK after doing this but you should use a leafblower or strong shop vac and clean the stove that way. Do a search and you'll find the posts explaining what to do.

I can almost weld with my St. Croix when set on 4... yours should be the same...

fedup said:
I just got my St. Croix Hastings Pellet Stove installed by my stove dealer in the beginning of October of 2008 and have only been running it full time since the end of October. It ran fine when we first got it. We have since discovered that the versa grate motor is leaking oil and informed our dealer of it and they told us just to use the motor until it no longer works before we get it replaced. The living room that the pellet stove is installed in is only 16ft by 12 ft. Since October 31st of 2008 our stove has failed to heat even the small room that it is installed in. I find myself wearing at least 2 thick long sleeved shirts and covered up to my chin with a quilt and I am still freezing even when the stove is run on level 4 all the time. The stove is shut down and thoroughly cleaned twice a week and the burn pot is scraped clean at least once a day. We have even tried several bags of different pellets that resulted in no change in the performance of the stove. We have also experienced our straight pipe that goes through the exterior wall of the house being completely clogged outside after only about 2 months of use. Do you think we have a problem with our stove? We are fed up with our stove and would appreciate any advice.

I'd suggest dragging your dealer that installed it out to your house on a cold day, and have him fix it. BUT, that's just my opinion.

hossthehermit said:
fedup said:

I'd suggest dragging your dealer that installed it out to your house on a cold day, and have him fix it. BUT, that's just my opinion.
I'm with him. You bought it in OCT and you are definately covered under warranty. If they will not inspect it, contact the manufacturer directly and explain to them what is happening. It strange how the mfg's can motivate us!

I had an issue with the motor for my versagrate motor being loud. Called my dealer and they verified the unit was under warranty and they got me a new one with no issues. It took a few weeks, but I still got it. Meanwhile I took apart my original motor, lubed it up, and it's definately helped with the sound, so for now I'm going to keep the new one in storage as a spare incase the original one ever goes. I would definately contact the dealer again, and if they don't want to help, call St. Croix support and explain to them the situation. St. Croix support always says to go through your dealer, but if you tell them your dealer isn't willing to help, they may step in.

I'm with the crowd on this one. Get the dealer to come and
have a look. That stove should be cooking you out of there.

Versa grate motor leaking oil? Afaik there is no oil inside the motor.
What you're seeing is most likely the lubrication dripping off which
won't cause any harm. Just wipe it up.

Keep us updated on the progress with the dealer.

Since I posted last we have taken our stove apart and cleaned out the back and the fans. We have taken the fake bricks out and cleaned behind them. Our stove could not be any cleaner. When we took the sides off the stove we discovered yet another puddle of oil, this time coming from the auger motor. This past Monday we went back down to our stove dealer and told them about it and their reply was that they had to call and see if the company replaces those. They were also kind of nasty towards us. This is the 3rd time that we have gone to talk to them about our stove and still have no appointment to get our stove fixed and we haven't gotten a phone call back from our dealer about what they found out. The room the stove is in in 16 x 12 ft and has 8 ft ceilings. We have a ceiling fan to circulate the air. We have 2 windows located at the opposite end of the room from the stove that are double-paned and have storm windows on them. We also have our windows fully covered with 2 layers of lined curtains. I put a thermometer where I sit on the couch which is about 6 ft from the stove and it read 63 degrees F when the stove was on heat level 4. I do not know how much more I can take.

Your stove is definitely not running right. I would contact St. Croix if the dealer is not any help. I have been heating my entire house all winter with the same stove you have. I run it with a thermostat, the stove is set on 3 except for once a day for about 30 minutes when I turn it up to burn off everything as has been suggested on this forum. It will cycle on and off as needed and has never failed to keep my main floor of about 1600 sq. Ft. at the set point of 70 deg. If you are running it on 4 constantly you should be going through about 2 bags or more of pellets. Even with poor insulation I would think you should be warmer than you have stated, don't give up on the stove it is really a nice unit but the dealer on the other had well I don't know what to tell ya there.

If your dealer does not help you out simply call your local news station and tell them your story. Them folks can motivate a slow snail on a bed of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.